The Pickwick Papers Read-Along Reminder.


Just a reminder that I am hosting The Pickwick Papers Read-Along to celebrate the 180th anniversary of its serialisation. As I said in the original sign-up post this isn't an idea I can claim credit for - a friend of a friend read The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens in time with the publication schedule and thoroughly enjoyed it, and it does seem like fun way to read it as it would have been read in the 1830s, plus it's very appropriate given the anniversary, so here we are! Here is the schedule:
I – March 2016 (chapters 1–2)
II – April 2016 (chapters 3–5)
III – May 2016 (chapters 6–8)
IV – June 2016 (chapters 9-11)
V – July 2016 (chapters 12–14)
VI – August 2016 (chapters 15–17)
VII – September 2016 (chapters 18–20)
VIII – October 2016 (chapters 21–23)
IX – November 2016 (chapters 24–26)
– December 2016 (chapters 27–29)
XI – January 2017 (chapters 30–32)
XII – February 2017 (chapters 33–34)
XIII – March 2017 (chapters 35–37)
XIV – April 2017 (chapters 38–40)
XV – June 2017 (chapters 41–43)
XVI – July 2017 (chapters 44–46)
XVII – August 2017 (chapters 47-49)
XVIII – September 2017 (chapters 50–52)
XIX – October 2017 (chapters 53–55)
XX - November 2017 (chapters 56–57)
N.B. There's no Pickwick Papers for May 2017: in May 1837 Charles Dickens missed a deadline as he was in mourning for his sister-in-law Mary Hogarth.

I hope people are still interested! I'll be posting each month about the two scheduled chapters, most probably on the last Saturday of each month: you can comment there, write your own posts, or feel free to do neither :) This is a casual and hopefully fun read-along so there are no rules. I will be starting in the next few days, and I look forward to writing the first post in the next couple of weeks. If you are joining in - have fun, good luck, and I hope you enjoy it :)

Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder and here's my post: http://cleoclassical.blogspot.ca/2016/03/the-pickwick-papers-read-along-long.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning it on your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too - I'm sure I'll enjoy the slow read :) When I first read it I think I read it in two or three weeks and I really did not like it that way. Very hopeful! I hope you enjoy it too :)

      Delete
  3. Yaaaaayyyyy!!!! I am so happy that we have finally started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :D I'm amazed at how quickly it's come around too :)

      Delete
  4. I'd forgotten all about this, but I do think I'd like to join in! A few chapters a month seems very manageable. Thanks for hosting--I'm sure I have no idea when I would attempt Pickwick if not for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, thanks for joining :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm hoping to start by the weekend :)

      Delete
  6. I am going to try: http://historyisnotwas.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-pickwick-papers-180th-anniversary.html

    I've had an eye on this event for a while, & finally decided to at least attempt it. I love the way it's timed to match the original publication. Great idea, you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was my idea! A friend of a friend came up with it.

      Glad you're blogging again! :D

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to getting started - great idea! Have mentioned this on my blog
    http://island bookshelf.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month