Big Garden Birdwatch.

This weekend is the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch: the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) has invited people to participate by signing up and then, for an hour, counting the birds in their garden and sending the results in. Here's the video by the RSPB:




This is the first time I've participated in the Big Garden Bird Watch and I thought I'd share my results!

Before I start, two things: firstly, all these photos are poor quality: I was hiding away in the utility room taking these pictures, so it's all through glass that is rather dirty after all the January rain! Secondly, my mother and I tried doing this yesterday but the freezing cold, rain, residual snow, and very heavy mist kept the birds away. In fact, pretty much all we saw was a lonely little chaffinch:


Happily, today was a few degrees warmer and the mist had lifted! Here are my results - 13 species!

This is my best handwriting, unfortunately.
I didn't take many pictures, mainly because any movement sends them all flying off, and also of course because I was trying to count them, but here are a few of the chaffinches and long-tailed tits:





What I didn't see in the hour:
  • The Sparrowhawk (which is a good thing as it would have been the only thing recorded on my results!)
  • The Jays: the most I've seen in one go is three, but they're rather shy birds.
  • Buzzards: I've seen them flying over, but it's very rare to see them here.
  • The Heron: it flies over the house most evenings, and sometimes I can see it from upstairs flying along the river.
I do have some old pictures from last year (sadly not of the Jays) from the summer (possibly spring) of three of the collared doves, a baby Woodpecker being fed, and of the dreaded sparrowhawk:




So there you have it! It was great fun, and it'll be interesting to see the entire results when the RSPB publish them. Until now, if you're on Twitter, people are posting their results and pictures with the hashtag #BigGardenBirdwatch.

Comments

  1. Those birds are completely adorable, especially the zebra striped bird dipping in for a bite. This looks so fun! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodpecker? They are adorable, I love birds! And I wish this was a worldwide thing, I'd love to see what birds frequent your patch :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I love taking pictures of birds that visit our yard. It's amazing what species you will begin to see in your area once you start paying attention. Here it was, I thought we only had sparrows and horrid black birds.

    It is a wonderful hobby - bird watching. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed interesting. If I didn't look out for them I'd never have seen the wren, jays, or the nuthatches :)

      Delete
  3. This survey is also done here in Australia once a year. Not sure when it is. We have mainly big birds from the mountain. Cockatoos, wattle birds, corrowongs, forest ravens and a few wrens and honey eaters when the big ones aren't around and of course not to forget the silly kookaburras. They are teaching their young to fly around our yard area and are fun to watch. I enjoyed the photos even if through a window. Nice to see other species. Travellin' Penguin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you join the survey this year do you think? If you do I'd love to see your results! Fascinating list - had to look most of them up, all very very beautiful! I do love hearing about other people's wildlife :)

      Delete
  4. What a fun post to deviate from books! I love birds and it was so interesting to see all the ones around your house. If only I had more time I'd like to have bird feeders and see what would come. Sometimes when I go for a walk down by the river I see herons, kingfishers and various other birds. I find watching them is so relaxing. I hope that you do more of these posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very relaxing, it was a much needed break from all the doom and gloom to be honest.

      I love kingfishers! I've never seen one, though, I have a feeling they tend to be more down south. I'd so love to see one :)

      Delete
  5. lovely photos! we have mostly jays robins squirrels and myriads of tiny ones: sparrow, nuthatches, wrens, and many i don't know... it's funny how when i try to look one up in a bird book, what i see is never what is described or depicted... i have the same problem with trees: i can't identify a tree to save my life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We used to have a squirrel, must be about three years ago since I saw one. Some think one of the cats in the village killed it, though someone else says they've seen it recently nearer the river. I miss it! It was a little red one.

      There's a good site I use to identify birds, but I'm not sure how helpful it would be to you as it's for British birds. It's the RSPB Bird Identifier :)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post and such lovely pictures. Birds have so much character and dignity. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

      Delete
  7. What an amazing mix of birds! Your farden brims with wildlife :)
    At my parents there are many birds (and other animals); now that I live in the city I miss seeing them a bit... but just yesterday morning a blackbird came flying on my little balcony and it was such a joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! I do love blackbirds and listening to them sing. That's one of the reasons I love summer is to hear them singing all the time! That said, the robins put up an excellent show in the winter :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

The Book Tag.

20 Books of Summer.