The Wild Duck by Henrik Ibsen.

1884 edition of Vildanden.
The Wild Duck (Vildanden) is a play by Henrik Ibsen which was first published in 1884. It's a play in five acts and it begins in Håkon Werle's house: he is a wealthy merchant and the father of Gregers Werle, who has recently returned home after a fifteen year self-imposed exile. Werle's servant Pettersen and a hired waiter, Jansen, set the scene:
Pᴇᴛᴛᴇʀsᴇɴ: [lighting a lamp on the mantelpiece and putting on the shade] Just you listen, Jensen: there's the old man on his feet now, making a long speech - a toast to Mrs. Sørby.
Jᴇɴsᴇɴ: [moving an arm-chair forward] D'you think it's true, what they say - that there's something between 'em?
Pᴇᴛᴛᴇʀsᴇɴ: Lord knows.
Jᴇɴsᴇɴ: Of course, he's been a lad in him time, all right.
Pᴇᴛᴛᴇʀsᴇɴ: Maybe.
Jᴇɴsᴇɴ: But they say it's for his son, he's giving this luncheon party.
Pᴇᴛᴛᴇʀsᴇɴ: Yes. His son came home yesterday.
Jᴇɴsᴇɴ: I never knew before that old Werle so much as had a son.
Pᴇᴛᴛᴇʀsᴇɴ: Oh yes, he's got a son. But he just buries himself up there at the Høydal works. He's never been to town all the years I've been in service here.
They are interrupted by a guest, Old Ekdal (a former partner of Werle's who has spent time in prison and now works as Werle's copyist), who is dressed rather shabbily. We later learn his son is Hjalmar Ekdal, a once friend of Gregers. Hjalmar is now married to Gina, and the match was facilitated by Werle, who also provided a photography studio for Hjalmar. Gregers meanwhile has not married, unable to find a wife he claims he has "a fine, solitary life. A good opportunity to think things over - all sorts of things". He is an idealist, and he is well aware that Werle had an affair with Gina before he married her to Hjalmar; her child is not Hjalmar's but Werle's.

It's not until the second act that we meet the wild duck, a prize won on a hunting expedition. The duck is kept in the attic and cared for by Hedvig, Hjalmar and Gina's daughter. It's wounded, shot by Werle:
Gʀᴇɢᴇʀs: How did you manage to catch it, Lieutenant Ekdal?
Eᴋᴅᴀʟ: I didn't catch it. There's a certain man in this town whom we have to thank for it.
Gʀᴇɢᴇʀs: [starts slightly.] That man was not my father, was he?
Eᴋᴅᴀʟ: You've hit it. Your father and no one else. H'm.
Hᴊᴀʟᴍᴀʀ: Strange that you should guess that, Gregers.
Gʀᴇɢᴇʀs: You were telling me that you owed so many things to my father; and so I thought perhaps —
Gɪɴᴀ: But we didn't get the duck from Mr. Werle himself —
Eᴋᴅᴀʟ: It's Håkon Werle we have to thank for her, all the same, Gina. [To Gʀᴇɢᴇʀs] He was shooting from a boat, you see, and he brought her down. But your father's sight is not very good now. H'm; she was only wounded.
Gʀᴇɢᴇʀs: Ah! She got a couple of slugs in her body, I suppose.
Hᴊᴀʟᴍᴀʀ: Yes, two or three.
Hᴇᴅᴠɪɢ: She was hit under the wing, so that she couldn't fly.
Gʀᴇɢᴇʀs: And I suppose she dived to the bottom, eh?
Eᴋᴅᴀʟ: [sleepily, in a thick voice] Of course. Always do that, wild ducks do. They shoot to the bottom as deep as they can get, sir — and bite themselves fast in the tangle and seaweed — and all the devil's own mess that grows down there. And they never come up again.
Gʀᴇɢᴇʀs: But your wild duck came up again, Lieutenant Ekdal.
Eᴋᴅᴀʟ: He had such an amazingly clever dog, your father had. And that dog — he dived in after the duck and fetched her up again.
The duck becomes the central metaphor for the play: Gregers identifies with the duck locked away in the attic, and sees similarities with Hjalmar and his marriage, as though he were submerged in the poisonous marsh. Furthermore, he also sees himself in the dog who saved the duck. Ekdal meanwhile sees himself as the duck, literally shot down, whereas Ekdal was symbolically shot down by Werle, his former business partner. The play becomes more complex as the conflicts come to the surface.

It's a tricky play, subtle, and, as with the other plays I've read by Ibsen the tensions slowly but surely rise to the surface, and I see why some refer to Ibsen as "the father of realism". Gregers, the idealist, is the catalyst: had he not have returned all would have continued as it was, but his meddling brought up all the lies buried, like the duck I suppose in the marsh, and brought up by that dog Gregers saw himself in. His idealism, as his friend Relling warned, undid them all and brought about tragedy. It's an excellent play, and very impressive. I'm looking forward to more Ibsen - the next play I plan to read is A Doll's House (1879), though I dare say I might not get to it until March.

Comments

  1. I read The Doll's House last year but found it hard to review, so my draft is still sitting there. This play sounds very intriguing. I need to read at least one Ibsen play this year to continue the streak. A biography about him at some point wouldn't go amiss either. Thanks for the stellar review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Doll's House for my A' Levels, think that was the last time I read it! :)

      Delete
  2. i saw this on stage at a very young age... all i remember is people sitting around a table and talking for a long time... i guess i should read it again... sounds interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, though I liked it (and this is the first time I've said this re. a play) I think I'd actually be happier reading it. But if I ever get the chance I won't rule out seeing it... :)

      Delete
  3. I have just finished this play. The second from Ibsen I've read after The Doll's House. I liked how Ibsen built the climax. On early stages you wouldn't know it would be a tragedy, things are very peaceful and normal. Then you begin to see strange things that you don't get the connection, but at certain point the pace gets faster and then... the tragedy. Then it become silence.

    Well, at least that's what I felt with Ibsen :) Love to read more from him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that, he's great at it, absolute master. Really enjoying Ibsen at present :D

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your intelligently perceptive review. I've never had the opportunity to see this play. I wish that there were more revivials of Ibsen. I've seen about 6 productions of "Doll's House" but have had no chance to see his other plays performed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I never look at what's coming up at the theatre - I live about 50 miles away from the nearest one - so I'm surprised there's not much Ibsen. Not surprised, however, that Doll's House seems to be the most popular!

      I'd like to see an Ibsen... Will have to look up some DVDs :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

The Book Tag.

20 Books of Summer.