The Happy Tag.

I saw this very lovely meme at Jillian's: you write what makes you happy under the titles 'Books', 'Words', 'Movies / Television', 'Fictional Characters', 'Scents', 'Songs', and 'Miscellaneous'. This came at just the right time: I'm thoroughly fed up with the General Election (campaigning has barely even started!) and this gave me a much needed opportunity to dwell on the positives! So, here are some of the things (for I'm bound to have forgotten a few) that make me happy...

ooks 



The Worm Forgives the Plough by John Stewart Collis ✯ The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame ✯ The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E. M. Delafield ✯ Jean Santeuil by Marcel Proust ✯ The Pillow Book of Sei ShōnagonThe Warden by Anthony Trollope ✯ A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare ✯ The Darling Buds of May by H. E. Bates ✯ Little Women by Louisa May Alcott ✯ The Diary of a Country Parson 1758 - 1802 by James Woodforde ✯ The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer ✯ The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow by Jerome K. Jerome ✯ Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome ✯ Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll ✯ Swan's Way by Marcel Proust ✯ Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf ✯ Orlando by Virginia Woolf ✯ Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen ✯ The Diary of a Nobody by George & Weedon Grossmith ✯ Essays by Francis Bacon ✯ The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett ✯ Kilvert's Diary 1870-79 by Francis Kilvert ✯ The Merry Wives of Windsor by William Shakespeare ✯ I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith ✯ Hyde Park Gate News: The Stephen Family Newspaper by Virginia Woolf, Vanessa Bell, and Thoby Stephen✯ The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter ✯ The Tailor of Gloucester by Beatrix Potter

҉ords


Fellow ✯ Love  ✯ Ethereal ✯ Splendid ✯ Iridescent ✯ Eloquent ✯ Bucolic  ✯ County  ✯ Cosy ✯ Dally ✯ Onomatopoeia  Pastoral  Fortuitous  Serendipity  Dulcet  Kindness ✯ Ancestry ✯ Demure ✯ Tsundoku (a Japanese word I learned just today meaning to buy more books than one can read) ✯ Gumusservi (Turkish for the glimmering moonlight on water)

ovies / T҉elevision


Marie AntoinettePride and Prejudice (2005) ✯ Fantasia ✯ Clueless ✯ Gone With the Wind ✯ Rebecca A Christmas Carol A Christmas Story ✯ Downton Abbey ✯ Blackadder ✯ Eggheads ✯ Pride and Prejudice (1995) ✯ French and Saunders ✯ Dad's Army ✯ Porridge ✯ Gardeners' World ✯ Have I Got News For You ✯ The Good Life ✯ To the Manor Born ✯ The Golden Girls ✯ Roseanne ✯ To Walk Invisible ✯ Victoria Wood: As Seen on T.V.  Fresh Prince of Bel Air ✯ Buffy the Vampire Slayer The Tale of Peter Rabbit and Friends Oliver! ✯ Peter Kay: Live at the Top of the Tower and Live at the Bolton Albert Halls


ictional Characters


Redcrosse from The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser ✯ Septimus Harding from The Warden by Anthony Trollope ✯ Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen ✯ Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë ✯ Badger and Toad from The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame ✯ Alice from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll ✯ The Wife of Bath from The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer ✯ Marianne Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen ✯ Eeyore and Piglet from The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne ✯ Beth March from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott ✯ Hermione Granger, Molly Weasley, and Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter ✯ Sybil Crawley from Downton Abbey ✯ Cousin Violet from Downton Abbey ✯ Olivia Benson and Sonny Carisi from Law and Order S.V.U. ✯ Prince George from Blackadder III ✯ Norman Stanley Fletcher from Porridge ✯ Margo and Jeremy Leadbetter from The Good Life ✯ Benjamin Bunny from Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter ✯ Ma Larkin from The Pop Larkin Chronicles by H. E. Bates ✯ Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare ✯ Sgt. Wilson, Private Godfrey, and Private Walker from Dad's Army 

cents


Roses ✯ Daffodils ✯ Fresh paint ✯ Vanilla ✯ The forest in early autumn ✯ Summer ✯ Basil ✯ Vine tomatoes ✯ Stalosan F (this is a weird one, I know, but it does smell nice and fresh and it reminds me of summer)  ✯ Christmas cake cooking in the oven ✯ The lingering smell of polish ✯ Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria) ✯ Night-Scented Stock (Matthiola longipetala) ✯ Lemons ✯ Bergamot ✯ Thyme ✯ My vanilla frosting Yankee candle ✯ Chimney smoke in the winter ✯ Freshly cut grass (it's only a cliché because most people do!) ✯ Old churches ✯ Cinnamon ✯ Compost ✯ The hens (they smell a little like cucumber) ✯ Marshmallows ✯ Honeysuckle ✯ Raspberries ✯ Hay ✯ Pink grapefruit ✯ Newly washed bedding ✯ Wild garlic ✯ Chocolate Cosmos (Cosmos atrosanguineus)

ongs

So many songs! Juicy by The Notorious B.I.G.✯ Oh to be in Love by Kate Bush ✯ Fun for Me by Moloko ✯ Release the Pressure by Leftfield ✯ John Wayne by Lady Gaga ✯ Malibu by Hole ✯ Sunset Strip by Courtney Love ✯ Love is Only a Feeling by The Darkness ✯ Bliss by Tori Amos ✯ Ms. Jackson by OutKast ✯ Ain't Nobody by Chaka Khan and Rufus ✯ You Can't Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones ✯ Kashmir by Led Zeppelin ✯ Shackles (Praise You) by Mary Mary ✯ Country House by Blur ✯ Get Off of My Cloud by Rolling Stones ✯ Def Con One by Pop Will Eat Itself ✯ Whole Lotta Trouble by Stevie Nicks ✯ Mo Money Mo Problems by The Notorious B.I.G. ✯ Jupiter from The Planets by Gustav Holst ✯ Kite by Kate Bush ✯ Wasted Youth by Meatloaf  ✯ It Was a Good Day by Ice Cube ✯ Sorted for E's and Wizz by Pulp ✯ Wake Up Boo! by The Boo Radleys ✯ Ebeneezer Goode by The Shamen ✯ The Importance of Being Idle by Oasis ✯ Dominoes by The Big Pink ✯ Praise You by Fatboy Slim ✯ Have a Nice Day by Bon Jovi ✯ Intergalactic by Beastie Boys ✯ I Wish by Skee-Lo ✯ Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) by The Offspring ✯ Feeling Good by Nina Simone ✯ Night Scented Stock by Kate Bush ✯ The Life of Riley by The Lightning Seeds ✯ Flow Joe by Fat Joe ✯ 711 by Beyoncé ✯ The Four Seasons by Antonia Vivaldi ✯ Roll with It by Oasis ✯ I Don't Feel Like Dancing by The Scissor Sisters ✯ Big Time by Peter Gabriel ✯ Hey Ma by Cam'Rom ✯ Mack the Knife by Bobby Darin ✯ No Diggity by Blackstreet ft. Dr. Dre and Queen Pen ✯ Flowers by Sweet Female Attitude ✯ The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash ✯ Two Princes by Spin Doctors ✯ Everything's Cool by Pop Will Eat Itself ✯ Ain't Nothing Going on But the Rent by Gwen Guthrie ✯ Tequilla by Terrorvision ✯ Three Little Birds by Bob Marley ✯ Mozambique by Bob Dylan ✯ Take Your Mama by The Scissor Sisters ✯ And Dream of Sheep by Kate Bush ✯ Beautiful Stranger by Madonna ✯ Waltz of the Snowflakes from The Nutcracker by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky ✯ Down the Old Coal Hole by George Formby ✯ Loaded by Primal Scream ✯ Lucky Man by The Verve ✯ Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry ✯ Human Behaviour by Björk ✯ Life is a Flower by Ace of Base ✯ Ode to Joy from Ninth Symphony by Ludwig von Beethoven ✯ Not this Time by Kate Bush ✯ Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks ✯ Honey by Moby ✯ Respect by Aretha Franklin ✯ Govinda by Kula Shaker ✯ Brimful of Asha by Cornershop ✯ Small Town Boy by Bronski Beat ✯ Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana ✯ It's Tricky by Run D.M.C. ✯ Rabbit Heart (Raise it up) by Florence and the Machine ✯ Mustt Mustt by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan ✯ Ce Martin Lá by Air ✯ Get Up Offa That Thing by James Brown ✯ Temptation by Heaven 17 ✯ L'Amour Looks Something Like You by Kate Bush ✯ Free by Ultra Naté ✯ Morning Mood from Peer Gynt by Edvard Grieg ✯ Gloria by Patti Smith ✯ California Love by 2Pac feat. Dr. Dre ✯ Beautiful Ones by Suede ✯ Sugar-Coated Iceberg by The Lightning Seeds ✯ New World Symphony by Antonín Dvořák ✯ You Get What You Give by The New Radicals

iscellaneous 


My boyfriend and my mother ✯ My pets ✯ A cool breeze ✯ Lying or indeed sitting in a sunbeam ✯ Eating fresh bread when it's still warm from the oven ✯ Water in the sunlight ✯ The tinkling of a wind chime ✯ Bubble baths ✯ New toiletries ✯ A clear, starry sky ✯ Autumn mornings that start off very misty but by mid-morning it's bright sunshine ✯ Warm, sunny days ✯ A new book ✯ A full moon in June ✯ A crescent moon in December ✯ Coming home ✯ The first frost ✯ Dandelion fluff ✯ Illustrations ✯ Planting seeds ✯ Buying a new plant ✯ Hearing owls as I go to sleep ✯ Dappled sunlight ✯ Trees ✯ The first snow ✯ Pink nail varnish ✯ The budgies singing ✯ Robins ✯ Waking up to a sunny day ✯ Early mornings ✯ Cuddles off Agnes and Florence (Meg and Ruby don't like cuddles, though Ruby sometimes consents to standing awkwardly on my knee) ✯ Bees ✯ John William Waterhouse ✯ A newly cleaned and tidied house ✯ A crackling fire ✯ The cuckoo ✯ Lazy Sundays ✯ Garden centres ✯ Little fluffy clouds ✯ Old pictures of where I live ✯ Clean sheets ✯ The feeling of having done something I've put off for a while ✯ Toads ✯ Clean glass ✯ New leaves on the trees in mid-spring ✯ Blackbird song ✯ How excited the chickens get when I go out with their treats ✯ Newly dug up potatoes, boiled ✯ Going into the garden in early evening to pick herbs to go with dinner ✯ Sleeping with the window open ✯ Watering my plants ✯ Ladybirds ✯ Watching the garden birds ✯ The dawn chorus ✯ Collared Doves ✯ Sparrows ✯ Chaffinches ✯ Chimneys ✯ When the leaves start to turn ✯ Snowdrops ✯ Celebrations after England win something ✯ Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall ✯ Cows ✯ Seeing sheep with their lambs and how proud and protective they look ✯ Hexham Abbey ✯ Jedburgh Abbey ✯ Bamburgh Castle ✯ Puffins ✯ Mary, Queen of Scots' House ✯ Starting a book I know I'll love ✯ Finishing a very difficult book ✯ Primroses ✯ Dog roses ✯ Swallows ✯ Streams ✯ Donkeys ✯ Halloween ✯ Christmas ✯ Carving pumpkins ✯ Pansies and violas ✯ The crackle of a vinyl record ✯ The sound of rain on the window ✯ The Capon Tree in Jedburgh (it's over 2,000 years old)  ✯ Gifs ✯ When my boyfriend returns home







Comments

  1. Aw, just lovely, o!! This was such a joy to read, and here here to spreading some happy! I'm tired of politics as well. Might as well beam light into a shadowy April. I see Peter Rabbit made many showings in your list. I agree he's a grin-maker. I love the whole Beatrix canon. Might be time for a revisit. xxxx

    (Also, I love the moving pictures you shared. You see how I say "moving pictures" instead of "gif"? It sounds more old-fashioned and therefore happier. Also, everything you list under "miscellaneous" is so beautiful. I would also grin at the hens' excitement, as I do when my kitty goes mad for a treat.) :-)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very grateful to you for drawing my attention to it - it's amazing how much it cheered me up! :D

      I need to read more Beatrix Potter, there's quite a few I've not read, though I have read the big famous ones (well, actually, they were read *to* me!)

      I like moving pictures! Nicer than "gif" :)

      Delete
  2. how amazing it is that you can remember all of that! lovely imagery in your selections... and pictures... tx..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I didn't do this post in one go - I started it when I saw Jillian's on Friday afternoon I think it was, and I left it open so I could add to mine over the weekend :) As for the music, I went through my media player for that, though still managed to forget some! I think my list might look a little different come autumn - this is a very summery one, but I do love autumn and winter as well.

      Delete
  3. Great post. Love the misc category the most. Don't need to be organised to think of things.Glad animals feature. They sure would be dominant in my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Animals are one of the things that make me the happiest, especially birds :)

      Delete
  4. Simply lovely! I will have to return and linger. I am so happy that you have love to give to the Rev'd Harding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

The Book Tag.

20 Books of Summer.