Roses for English Gardens by Gertrude Jekyll and Edward Mawley.

Today has been a grey, miserable day, mostly rain, yet still very muggy. And it's been an irritable, restless sort of a day: our car's broke down (the back axle snapped, fortunately not whilst driving!) so all plans have been cancelled, everything's up in the air, and it's one of those days trying to sort things out and being thwarted left and right. So I thought I'd treat myself to some lost time - one thing I find fun (and rarely get the chance to do) is look up random books on Internet Archive as I do love beautiful book covers and illustrations, and it's fun to go down a hole and stay down there looking at all the old images for a while. As I did I came across Roses for English Gardens by Gertrude Jekyll and Edward Mawley from 1902. To be clear: I haven't read this book but I was very struck by the photography in it. Honestly, I suppose I found the pictures quite moving: roses are so beautiful and timeless, yet the black and white, the quality, the dress of the women in it was so very turn of the century; they're snapshots of a moment in a period long gone, and with all the unpleasantness in the world right now it's nice to dream and feel nostalgic and enjoy pictures from a bygone era. As I enjoyed the images so much I thought I'd share them, they're credited to a Miss Willmott, and I assume this is Ellen Willmott the very famous horticulturist who lived in Warley Place at Great Warley, Essex.


















Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did 🌹

Comments

  1. Lovely pictures... I was a mechanic in another life and horridly curious about happened to your car...broke axles are extremely rare... What kind of car and are sure about the diagnosis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Citroën Berlingo (car, not the van version). I wasn't there when it happened, but what happened was my boyfriend was in it and he'd only been parked for 10 mins or so (just come off a motorway!), and he said there was a loud bang and the car sort of dropped down. The AA came out (AA is Automobile Association) and said that is what happened. The car's outside the window now, it's sitting half way down the wheel (does that make sense?). It's going to the garage tomorrow. Sure it is rare, but the thing is with this is my boyfriend is a singer / musician so there's an awful lot of equipment carried in the car - very heavy speakers, instruments, all that kind of stuff. Plus it's got a lot of miles on it (about 150k; the last one managed to get to 350k and only really started grumbling and having problems after the 300k mark!).

      Anyway, upshot is it's going to garage tomorrow and it's getting a new and somehow stronger axle than the one its got now :) They're such good cars normally, but I'm wondering if when this needs to be replaced getting the Berlingo van version might be the way forward...

      Delete
    2. Ah... My parents owned a Citroen; as I recall they use gas bags for suspension-so when starting the car, the vehicle rises about a foot... As you say, I may still be a axle but I would suspect a blown gas bag first... Anyhow, I'm glad you can afford to get it fixed... They're classy cars...

      Delete
    3. Or maybe a bad relief valve...

      Delete
    4. I think it's going on the credit card :) And the torsion bar is what snapped - you'll know what that is, I gather it's attached to or next to the back axle. Anyway it's in now, been in since 8 am, probably be ready late afternoon. I love that car, I miss it!

      Delete
    5. Tx for the comeback... That's really unusual! I'm glad you could get it fixed so fast. In this country you'd have to junk he car ; nobody would work on it...

      Delete
    6. Aye, it's sorted. Did need new back axle and timing belt. Cannot even speak of the cost... A lot more than we thought :S

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures and I needed something like this to get going! Thank You for providing a reprieve from a generally irritating day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love these, don't normally go for black and white especially for pictures of flowers, but these were so lovely I had to share them :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month