2014 Challenges.

I think it's time I finally got my 2014 Challenges in order! That said, this isn't definitive - if anything pops up that is appealing, I shall consider it, but with all the Zola planned and various other projects, I do want to keep challenges to a minimum.

First is Adam's TBR 2014 Challenge. This is traditional. I couldn't not join in. My choices are:

  1. The Master and the Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
  2. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.
  3. Sybil by Benjamin Disraeli. 
  4. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. 
  5. Ninety-Three by Victor Hugo.
  6. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
  7. Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford.
  8. Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol. 
  9. The Wings of a Dove by Henry James.
  10. On Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham.
  11. Metamorphoses by Ovid.
  12. Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope.
Alternates:
  1. Is He Popejoy by Anthony Trollope.
  2. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. 


Next, The Chunkster Challenge. Details are here. I plan to read at least ten books with over 450 pages. You don't have to list your books ahead of time, but I do aim to re-read Remembrance of Things Past in 2014. Summer, most likely. And, hopefully, if there's time, a re-read of Samuel Richardson's Clarissa, which I imagine I'd want to read in autumn.

Then, my own challenge, Russian Literature 2014. I did say there was no need to list the books ahead, but I do want to read a fair bit of Dostoyevsky. I'm aiming for Level 3, 7 - 12 books.








So, there it is: my challenges laid out! I'm now off to do a little Christmas shopping (hence search an early morning post!). I can't believe it will be 2014 in two weeks today....

Comments

  1. I read The Master and Margarita this year and what a great book. Very different from the Russian Lit I have been used to reading …

    The Infinite Jest and Of Human Bondage are on my radar but I would approach them with trepidation …..

    I tried to make it through Metamorphoses and failed this year but I AM going to get through it in 2014. We can compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read Ted Hughes's 'Tales from Ovid'? I highly recommend that as a starting point! It was that that inspired my to read Ovid!

      Delete
  2. I really need to get around to finishing Parade's End next year. I'm almost at the end of the first book but that has taken me a year.

    The Moonstone, Middlesex and The Phantom of the Opera are all amazing. The Moonstone, particularly. But then I am a serious Wilkie enthusiast so I guess I'm biased.

    2014 is definitely coming around at speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started Parade's End countless times now, and there's nothing that puts me off, just somehow I always get distracted. 2014 is the year for it, though!

      Delete
  3. You know, I never realised until now how every single Russian classic seems to have been written by a man. Are there any women who published in that era under their own names or pseudonoms?

    Your plans for 2014 look exciting and ambitious. I look forward to following your progression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) As for women - I honestly don't know. I shall have to report back when I've made some progress...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month