25 re-reads.


One of my plans for this new blog was to re-read a lot of books I'd either read, loved, and want to know better, or read, hated, and / or couldn't remember. And what is a new blog without a new list? I do intend to blog about each one, though that may not always be possible, but I will give it a go. So here is my list: the twenty five books I've read but want to know a lot better. 
  1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  3. Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë
  4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
  5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
  6. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  7. The Divine Comedy by Dante
  8. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  9. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  10. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  11. Middlemarch by George Eliot
  12. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
  13. The Odyssey by Homer
  14. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
  15. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
  16. Ulysses by James Joyce
  17. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  18. Ninteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
  19. Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust
  20. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson
  21. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
  22. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  23. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
  24. Night and Day by Virginia Woolf
  25. To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
The first one I'm going to read, as mentioned in the first post, is Middlemarch. I'm in the very early stages, only on page 25 or so, but it's not as I remembered so I'm hopeful! I think this evening I shall have an early night and spend some time with it.

Aside from Middlemarch, I'm also reading The Charterhouse at Parma by Stendhal, and again I've only really began it so I haven't got any interesting insights at present! However, I do have a post planned on the third book I'm reading - Best Ghost Stories by Charles Dickens - perfect for the Christmas period, and I'm quite taken with the second story, A Madman's Manuscript. It could almost have been written by a 19th Century Russian!

Comments

  1. Read the two Anne Bronte's for the first time this year and itching to reread them! I wish you luck with that. Erm, Ulysses - what reason are you using for rereading that? (Asks the girl who reread it during uni and seemed to make more sense of it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just fascinated by James Joyce! I've read the big four (Ulysses, Dubliners, Portrait of an Artist, Finnegans Wake) and I can't say I'm exactly in love with them, but I'm so intrigued...

      Anne Bronte is awesome, isn't she? If only she'd been able to write more.

      Delete
    2. I am so impressed that you have read so many works of Joyce. He scares me. I keep looking at Ulysses and thinking "should I?, shouldn't I?"

      Delete
  2. Ooh, what a list. Look forward to seeing some of the reviews. Can I just say I love your blog. I only came during the closing days of the last one but I scrolled through your posts and loved your in-depth pieces on the books you read. So I look forward to more juicy analyses :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LD - hopefully there'll be a *lot* more analysis :)

      Delete
  3. Great list! I'd like to cheer for Les Miserables and Odyssey. By the way, I'm thinking about taking (the big) Remembrance of Things Past. What do you think about the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly can't say. I read it criminally quickly! I remember the act of reading it but nothing more! When I come to re-reading it, I'm going to take it so so slowly. Maybe even over 6 months. Longer even. I do want to actually *know* it. When are you planning on reading it?

      Delete
  4. I remember Middlemarch as a tough start for the first 100 pages, then being unable to put the book down for the rest -- it was so worth sticking with. I should reread it again myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try my best. Everyone seems to really like it. I think I gave up trying at around page 100 :)

      Delete
    2. I read Middlemarch earlier this year for the second time. It was actually a weird experience because I LOVED it the first time and didn't like it quite so well the second time. However, it still is a 4-star book for me; the characters, relationships and social status were very well portrayed by Eliot for such an ambitious project.

      Delete
  5. From knowing those I've read and others I've read about, that is an excellent list. My favourite books are Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice but I've only read them once. Hope you enjoy Middlemarch, it is long indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Jane Eyre! Looking forward to re-reading that one particularly!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful idea! I'm rereading Middlemarch as well. I'm especially excited to reread the Woman in White in January and then I plan on rereading Iris Murdoch's The Good Apprentice in the spring. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading The Moonstone in January :) I did like Woman in White from what I remember...

      Delete
  7. Clarissa!! I'm looking forward to the boost of inspiration which will surely show through once you get to it! It's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the focus on reading things again... Especially if one of those things is Clarissa! You've inspired me to make my own list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just reading it on Feedly! I shall go comment... :)

      Delete
  9. An excellent project! I really need to read Middlemarch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually getting better as I read through, but I can't understand why some people (I think Virginia Woolf might have been one of them) think it's the best novel ever written.

      Delete
  10. It's such an excellent idea to re-read books you read a long time ago! I just finished re-reading Pride and Prejudice (again) and enjoyed myself just as much as the first time I read it. I love all three of the Brontes, too, and I completely agree that Anne Bronte doesn't get as much attention as she deserves. I can't wait to see your reviews of these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not an Austen fan, but I do think I might have liked P&P. Read it not long after the BBC series, was that 1995? I'm definitely due a re-read, anyway! Lord, that's nearly 20 years ago.... Wow...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month