End of Year Book Stats.

The year is drawing to a close, and I cannot believe it's Christmas on Wednesday! As I promised on Twitter, I've been hugely productive today with the Christmas tidy, and I've also managed to put together this post - my 2013 reading stats! Let it be known: maths is not my strong point. Furthermore, I never imagined that this would take so long, so there may be some inaccuracies, however, below the jump, this is roughly how my reading stats for 2013 look.



Some of the Authors Read in 2013

Fiction: 135 | Non Fiction: 25

Novels: 111 | Novellas: 9 
Short Story Collections: 6
Plays: 2 | Poetry: 7

Longest BookA Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
Shortest BookThe Lonesome Traveller by Jack Kerouac


New Authors: 63
Including Stendhal, Kipling, Bellow, Gogol, London, Maugham, Maupassant, Brown, Wilson, Chopin, Bunyan, Le Carré, Deborah Duchess of Devonshire, Butler, Collodi, Scott, Hall, Nesbit, Dundy, Wordsworth (Dorothy), Sterne, Smollett, Lewis, Clark, Burney, de Cervantes, Camus, Ellis, Seth, Mistry, Irving, Sewell, Copote, St. Augustine, Swift, Toole, Chatwin, Pasternak, De Bernieres, Hosseini, Rushdie, Boccaccio, Baldwin, Voltaire, Choderlos de Laclos, Kierkegaard, Spenser, Lee, Shute, Kingsley, Aksakov, Mitchell, Machiavelli , Albom, and Casanova. 
Favourite: Albert Camus (The Outsider).
Least Favourite: Bret Easton Ellis (American Psycho)

English Authors: 50
Including Woolf, Dickens, Hardy, Trollope, Winterson, Wodehouse, Forster, Austen, Milton, Orwell, Scott, Rowling, Hall, Sackville-West, Nesbit, Sterne, Smollett, Defoe, and Chaucer (among others).
Favourite: Virginia Woolf (Orlando)
Least Favourite: E. M. Forster (Where Angels Fear to Tread)

French Authors (translated): 11
Including Zola, Flaubert, Stendhal, Maupassant, Dumas, Camus, Balzac, Rousseau, de Beauvoir,
Choderlos de Laclos, and Voltaire.
Favourite: Émile Zola (Germinal)
Least Favourite: Alexandre Dumas (The Three Musketeers) 

Russian Authors (translated): 5
Including Chekhov, Dostoyevsky, Aksakov, Solzhenitsyn, and Pasternak.
Favourite: Fyodor Dostoyevsky (The Brothers Karamazov)
Least Favourite: Sergei Aksakov (A Russian Gentleman)

American Authors: 24
Including James, Tartt, Kerouac, Steinbeck, King, Dundy, Ellis, Wurtzel, Capote,  Wharton, Eugenides, Smith, and Fitzgerald (along others).
Favourite: John Steinbeck (Travels With Charley)
Least Favourite: Bret Easton Ellis (American Psycho)

Norwegian Authors: 1
Jostein Gaarder - The Christmas Mystery

Danish Authors: 2
Søren Kierkegaard - The Seducers Diary 
Beowulf

Australian Authors: 1
Zusak, Mark - The Book Thief

Austrian Authors: 2
Leopold von Sacher-Masoch - Venus in Furs
Sigmund Freud - Deviant Love and Interpretation of Dreams

Canadian Authors: 1
 Yann Martel - The Life of Pi

Indian Authors: 1
Vikram Seth - A Suitable Boy

Italian Authors: 4
Casanova - Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests
Carlo Collodi - The Adventures of Pinocchio
 Boccaccio - The Eaten Heat
Machiavelli - The Prince

Afghan Authors: 1
Hosseini, Khaled - The Kite Runner

Colombian Authors: 1 
Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Love in the Time of Cholera 
and One Hundred Years of Solitude

Spanish Authors: 1
de Cervantes - Don Quixote

German Authors: 1
Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank

Religious Texts: 3
The Qu'ran, The Upanishads, The Bhagavad Gita

Children's Literature: 10
Including Nesbit, Sewell, Kingsley, Twain, Collodi, Kipling, Gaarder, and Wilde.
Favourite: Anna Sewell (Black Beauty)
Least Favourite: Rudyard Kipling (Kim)

Re-Reads: 12
Including Zola, Woolf, James, Moats, Eugenides, Delafield and Smart (among others).
Favourite: Germinal by Émile Zola.

OldestThe Bhagavad Gita
Newest: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

Favourite Book of the Year: The Dream by Émile Zola.
Least favourite Book of the Year: American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Total books (so far): 160

Comments

  1. What an impressive list! So many new authors!

    I've wanted to read Kierkegaard for some time now (I've been living close to Denmark for the past months) but he's another very intimidating name on my list.

    You've had great company this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have indeed! Kierkegaard was very hard, from what I remember, and I only read an abridged version - I was pretty indimidated myself!

      Delete
  2. I have really enjoyed hearing about all of your books this past year. You are a most inspiring blogger and I love following the thoughts you have on your books. I have also really enjoyed hearing about the birds you care for so diligently. I hope all of you have a very happy 2014 and I so look forward to hearing what all of you get up to, reading and flying around. Hug those lovely little birds for me. Don't forget the chickens either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really appreciate that :) I have a bird post planned for before the end of the year - the chickens especially have made wonderful progress!

      Delete
  3. Sooo many books. Impressive, indeed. You must be a fast reader! Hope you have a lovely Christmas =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! And yes, I'm fast - a little too fast for my own good!

      Delete
  4. Wow! So many classics in one year! You must be a fast reader! I only wish I could cover so many.

    How did you like Freud's Interpretation of Dreams? I was thinking of reading it for 2014.

    I notice Zola is the largest name in your "Authors Read" poster! I'm sure that was completely unintentional! ;-) Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm aiming to read *less* next year! My goal was 150 for 2013, but I'm going for about 100 next year. :)

      Delete
    2. By the way - Zola gets a mention in Interpretation of Dreams! Would be interested to see what you think, it's quite odd (I think) what Freud says!

      Delete
  5. wow, good to find another soul who loves The Dream so much!
    I do an extensive recap of the year with charts and tables, but not until 2014, as I still plan to finish 4 or 5 books before the end of the year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to leave it to next year as well, but I was in a reflective mood. I think I'll finish Middlemarch and perhaps one other by the end of the year.

      Delete
  6. That is a lot of books! Germinal will also be one of my favourite reads from this year, and I would probably not have read it if it hadn't been for Zoladdiction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Fanda did very well with that event. Glad you loved Germinal :)

      Delete
  7. I just love it how all the authors in your word cloud are the same size and then bam! ZOLA three times bigger. That list is truly impressive. You continue to be an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, I loved the ZOLA as well!

      Delete
  8. Great list! I love your word cloud, how did you make it? Zola is one of my favorite authors too, I just finished The Earth and loved it (my third Zola this year). Now I need to go and work on my end-of-year summary as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get on too well with The Earth, hoping when I come to re-reading it I like it a bit better. The Dream followed The Earth - it was one amazing about-turn for Zola. Are you planning on reading that any time soon?

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the word cloud - I used my 2013 page and deleted all the first names and book titles, then put it on to Wordle :)

      Delete
  9. I chose Orlando as my favorite book of the year, too (in my Classic Literature) category. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the absolute greatest! I love reading about it as well, the story of Vita and Virginia, and the writing process. All fascinating.

      Delete
  10. Some impressive stats! What a brilliant year of reading, I hope 2014 is just as good (if not better) for you. Merry Christmas :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie - a Merry Christmas to you too! :D

      Delete
  11. I'm looking forward to reading The Dream. Loved the presentation of your stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I hope you love The Dream, I'll look forward to seeing what you think of it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month