This week.

Well, I've been blogging here a week today, and I managed seven posts in seven days, so at the very least this new blog is more inspiring! I'm glad I've done this.

It's been a good reading week, too. I finished Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma, which was the last of my 2013 Challenges. Unfortunately, I have very little to say about it: I didn't hate it, it was fine to read, but I wasn't terribly gripped by it. The style was appealing, and I enjoyed the sort of Don Quixote feel of it, so I'm still looking forward to The Red and the Black. One thing I did learn that was interesting was  the term 'Stendhal Syndrome', named after Stendhal, which Wikipedia describes as
... a psychosomatic disorder that causes rapid heartbeat, dizziness, fainting, confusion and even hallucinations when an individual is exposed to art, usually when the art is particularly beautiful or a large amount of art is in a single place. The term can also be used to describe a similar reaction to a surfeit of choice in other circumstances, e.g. when confronted with immense beauty in the natural world. 
This week I also read Kim by Rudyard Kipling, which was for the Classic Club Spin (142nd of my Classic Club list) and The Penguin English Library (73rd). Again, I liked it on the whole, but have very little to say! I just couldn't quite get into it.

On the positive side, though, I'm enjoying Middlemarch! I've already written about the first two volumes, so I won't repeat myself other than to say that the second time around is far more enjoyable than the first. I'm looking forward to picking it up again next week.

Aside from these, I've made a little progress with Zola's The Kill, and I've almost finished Best Ghost Stories by Charles Dickens. My favourite story is The Goblins Who Stole a Sexton, and I'm planning a post about this later next week.

Also next week - we're edging closer to Christmas, and I think it may soon be time to put the tree up! My Christmas cake is made, and I'm beginning to feel a little festive! I think it may also be time to read A Christmas Carol. It's included in Best Ghost Stories, but I've skipped it so I can read it a little closer to Christmas. Finally, I've been thinking of my own 2014 Challenge, and I shall be posting about it tomorrow (assuming no one beats me to it!).

As for tonight I'm going to begin re-reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I have loved this book since I read it, and I think it's perfect for this time of year. So, I'm going to have an early night, leave the budgies out for a while longer, and go to bed with a hot drink and read this whilst listening to the wind. Thoroughly enjoying the cosiness of late autumn!

Hope everyone else had a good week :)

Comments

  1. Ah your festive mood's rubbing off on me. And yes, Little Women does give off a Christmasy feel for sure - it's so cosy and warm, but so real, too. Love that story to bits.

    And aw, budgies. We've got two - do yours have a (BAD) habit of trying to nibble off the pages of books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! The trail of destruction here (which you can't see in the photo) is quite something - http://againbeholdthestars.tumblr.com/post/52889479699/myshkin-on-top-of-my-bookcase

      And when I was taking this picture, Myshkin (again) kept nibbling the page - http://againbeholdthestars.tumblr.com/post/53693770464

      You can see by her eyes she's a bad 'un :)

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of re-reading Little Women! Also, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Red and the Black. I was surprised to not have heard of it until recently, but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it until quite recently, either. Once I had, I wished I'd put that on my challenge instead of Charterhouse!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month