Classics Spin, and other things.

It's really the other things I want to blog about, but I'll start with the spin - the number was 20, and I got Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. I'll maybe start that next week.

It's been a vile week, hence my blog silence. I said a week ago things were stressful, but things have got worse. Emily, who I said was under the weather, is very ill now. Right now she's at the vets, and that alone brings tears to my eyes because she's ill, and she's by herself in a strange place and I hate to think she's upset. I suppose chances are she's asleep so these tears are unnecessary. It appears she has some kind of blockage, and she won't survive if it goes untreated. The medicines she's had today have a 50% chance of working, and if they don't work she'll need surgery, which only has a 30% chance of success. I'm trying to be positive about it, but I feel gloomy in general and a bit worn out by everything. So many big, horrible things to think about, thus it's hard to distract myself. Nothing nice is happening, nothing at all. I'll know what's happening tomorrow, the vet is ringing at 8.30am. Emily is a lovely, beautiful hen, and as you all know my hens are pets so (this should go without saying, but I've heard "It's only a chicken!" too many times) it's the same as a much loved dog or cat being dangerously ill. I miss her. I hope that we'll be bringing her home tomorrow. It's horrible to think that she doesn't understand what's happening to her. I hope she's not missing her sisters.

So. Aside from that. Well, I was planning on writing a post on both Hamlet and Hard Times, and I'll probably get round to that some time. And reading - I seem to have lots of books on the go, but I can't get into any of them. I started The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway earlier and that looks quite hopeful, so maybe I'll read that tonight.

Hopefully I'll post tomorrow with some good news. Until then...

Comments

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Emily. How cruel to say she's only a chicken. People don't get it. All animals have such personalities and you love her and that's all that matters. You have done so much for them and I'm sure they know that. Our beloved Koko died last week. He was our 9 year old cat. Bitten by a snake and although he survived that his heart gave out in the end. It was just so sad. We cried for several days. It still hits me he's gone. We went to the RSPCA and rehomed another kitty but he's not Koko. One day he will be. Just remember animals don't think about illness the way people do. I have no doubt you're feeling the stress more than she is. Animals are very present minded. They don't contemplate the future. All the best for you and Emily. At least you're giving her a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad about Emily. She is a chicken but she's a friend too, and a big part of your life. I really hope everything goes well and she can come home soon. I know what you mean about being gloomy; I, too, am trying to feel positive and nothing really terrible is happening here, but it always seems like you're dealing with people's little foibles and there is always too much to do. I can't wait for spring!

    You'll have to let me know how Frenchman's Creek goes. After Rebecca, du Maurier is not my favourite but I probably haven't given her a fair chance.

    Sending rainbows, flowers and warm breezes your way …… !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever had dogs as pets but I loved them dearly and was brokenhearted when they passed away (I still get choked up thinking about my last dear dog who died more than five years ago). And I'm glad you got Frenchman's Creek -- I haven't read that one but I've really loved most of the Du Maurier books I've read so far. Last year I read The Scapegoat which I really liked. I really want to read some more du Maurier soon, Rebecca is one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish all the best to Emily. I know it must feel horrible, I had both my cats sick as well in the end of the last year, although the chances of success of recovery were a lot higher... Keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too wish Emily and you all the best.The "it's just a chicken" people are simply emotionally immature and their capability of feeling love is limited. Even though I have never had that kind of connection with a chicken, just with dogs, I can totally sympathise with you. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear that! It's not just a hen! If people can get attached to objects why can't they understand that you can love a hamster, a dog or a bird? I think I'll never recover from losing a dog in 2009 and I still think of him as my boy and have these silly day dreams that we'll somehow meet in some afterlife of sorts.

    Can't wait to see your post on Hamlet! I visited the Danish castle recently so I'm all Hamlet crazed again. There's little I know about du Maurier except Rebecca (loved that one) so I'm curious whether or mot her other works are just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for your comments - they were much appreciated last night :)

    And she's much MUCH improved over night - I've posted about.

    Thanks again, can't say how much I appreciated it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love The Sun Also Rises. It's one of those books that gets even better on re-reading, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't finished it, but so far so good. Don't think I'm even half way through yet!

      Delete
  9. I hope Emily feels better soon! I've always loved our hens growing up as pets so I completely understand where you're coming from. I wish her well.

    Enjoy Frenchman's Creek - it's not one I've read but I am a big fan of du Maurier in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I'm looking forward to starting it soon. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month