Early spring.

Today may be summed up by Charles Dickens,
It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.
Exactly it. We went for a little walk around a disused quarry in the forest - the puddles by the trees had one inch of ice over them, but the sun was delicious. We've been outside a lot today (no coats on!), and the sun was most welcome to our birds: today marked the very first day of the budgies being out in the aviary and the hens going out for a walk. I believe the day was enjoyed most by Trotwood.

Trot, who is 2 years old next Wednesday, flew directly out of his cage and straight on to the perch in the aviary, where he proceeded to dance for a full ten minutes. He's quite a serious sort of chap, though sometimes prone to extreme silliness, so seeing his with his little mohican right up, frantically running around all the poles, bobbing up and down, flying hither and thither and squeaking constantly was surprising to all. Myshkin and Oliver, marginally more reserved, also had great fun. I much prefer them to be out in the aviary, and it's quite large with lots of things to do in there, so they've had a great day (getting them back in, however, was no fun at all). As for the hens - we took Anne and Charlotte for a little wander, so they've been down by the river digging and sunbathing. Everyone is much happier in the warmer months. I saw the first bee today, and yesterday the first crocus. The daffodils are closer to showing their faces, too. It's so beautiful here!

Reading / blogging wise - I'm almost caught up with things, I think I've written about everything I wanted to write about except The Little Prince (which I didn't read that long ago), and The Phantom of the Opera, the latter I do have to admit defeat with. I did enjoy it, but I read it so long ago. It just hasn't stayed with me. All I will say on it (consider this my review) is that I read it in one evening after a very stressful day, and it managed to engage me rather well. So that's Leroux. Up next, that The Little Prince review, and, again hopefully before spring starts, a Metamorphoses review. Reading: I want to start reading Uncle Tom's Cabin again: I was very into it, but I had no time to read so I got lost along the way, and it's a shame to spoil any book, let alone this book like that. Finally, I want to finish reading I, Claudius (that has such good reviews, but I'll confess now: I'm bored and I want to get it over with), Dorothy Parker Collected Works (I am so happy reading through this book!), and Oblomov.

Now, I have a problem with Oblomov, which accounts for me sort of abandoning it: a week ago today I pulled a muscle in my back. It has been a very painful week, and worst of all, despite it getting better, it's all of a sudden got worse. Most of last week involved lying in bed. Reading Oblomov lying in bed... Well, if you've read it you'll know what I mean - I can't help lying around, but at the same time the comparisons are extremely uncomfortable! All the same, I was enjoying it, so once I, Claudius is "out of the way" (I feel bad about this as it has such good reviews) I'll return to it. And I'm hoping this is a mere glitch and my back will return to getting better again. 

So this is March so far. I love the warmer weather and longer days, and I'm desperate for my back to get better so I can get on with things. Still, I've been doing a lot of reading in the process (eight books so far this month)! 

Comments

  1. I really enjoy hearing about the pastoral area where you live. While we live by farms, river, etc., we are quite close to the city so when you get on the roads it is BUSY! I always think that I'd like to live in a smaller town.

    I hope you start to feel better soon! I've been sick today and I'm never sick, so I'm somewhat grumpy about it. And I'm actually too sick to read much so that has been doubly depressing. Getting just sick enough to stay in bed but feeling well enough to read a lot, is indeed a balancing act. In any case, Oblomov is certainly apropos for your situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you feel better soon, too! It's wretched, isn't it? I've got so much stuff going on at the moment I need to be 100% fit, and I feel like I'm hardly scraping at 10%. So very frustrating.

      I hope we're both fighting fit for the start of spring :)

      Delete
  2. Hope the spring weather will make you feel better. Not read Uncle Tom's Cabin since I took my American Lit module years ago. A very good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has a great deal of promise - looking forward to getting back to it!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I'm a fan of Dorothy Parker, so I'm glad you're enjoying her collected works. She's so witty and sarcastic all at the same time. Still haven't read M. Oliphant's book yet, it's sitting in my TBR pile, but I hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed them - her reviews are wonderful, and I'm not usually a great fan of short stories but I loved hers!

      Delete
  4. Feel better soon. I'm excited for Spring, I feel like it's always a season for new beginnings. Enjoy your time reading! And new follower by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for following :)

      Spring's finally here!

      Delete
  5. Ouch! That muscle pain seems quite a worry. Hope you get that fully checked-up, to see if there are complications, and if there are meds you can take to soothe your muscles. And it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another doctor, if you think there's something else that's ailing you.

    Aurora DX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Need to get a check up - hurt it again yesterday evening but it's calmed down now.

      Delete
  6. I can only imagine how hard it is for you to concentrate on the book you've been reading while suffering from extreme pain. Any updates about your back pain? I wish it's not troubling you anymore.

    By the way, I love your book selection. I hope you can share more interesting titles in your future posts!

    Anisha Cason @ US HealthWorks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

The Book Tag.

20 Books of Summer.