March.

It's been a very sombre week, but today, for the first time in weeks, I worked so very hard. I had let things slide, so today was catching up, housework, gardening, various other things, and I have the righteous ache in my muscles that is rather satisfying. February was a bleak month in many ways, and I want to move forward, away from it, forget it in short, so it was good to wake up early, a new month, the first day of meteorological spring (though personally I recognise the official first day astronomically, which is on the 20th), and begin working on the plans we have for the garden. Much digging, and hours of heavy lifting, once done (half done, actually, it was getting dark), I tidied the house, then finished Brighton Rock in the bath (least said about that book the better. Three stars on Goodreads was extraordinarily respectful of me, I really must be in a better mood).

One of the consequences of February is that I'm very behind in my reading, so I'm thinking less of March plans and more of end-of-winter plans. There are things I want to write about before spring, February books mainly - Hamlet, The Wind in the Willows, Pride and Prejudice and The Phantom of the Opera, as well as answering the February Classic Club question (I liked that question: I was looking forward to answering it, but made the odd decision to wait until mid-month, which was when things went rapidly down hill). I would also like to finish and write about Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe - I was enjoying it, but I didn't have the energy to give it the attention it deserved. So, there (hopefully) are six posts that are on their way in the next two and a half weeks! And, one last catch-up read - I'd like to finish Poor Folk by Dostoyevsky for my Russian Literature Challenge, though, sadly, I can't see me reviewing it: I can't settle with it. But, I'm not yet half way through, so maybe something will make me love it. It's Dostoyevsky's first novel so I still love him! Other than that, because January was a good reading month, I'm not behind on any of my 2014 challenges. Which is good!

As for the new: well, there are two books I'd like to finish before spring: Ovid's Metamorphoses (which I may well not finish, I don't want to rush it for the sake of ticking it off), and The Odyssey, which I'm reading as part of a read-along. I am very much behind - by now I should have finished Book VIII, however I've only just finished Book II. I would very much like to catch up with it, and I'm thinking reading a book a day should do the trick. Also, the 1st March is the first day of the Chronicles of Barsetshire read-along, starting with The Warden, which whilst I've already read I'm looking forward to re-reading and re-reviewing. Finally, I still have Frenchman's Creek to read for my Classic Club Spin.

A lot of reading ahead! And March is set to be an extremely busy month as it is, but I'm hoping with some organisation I shall meet my goals. I'm focussed more on the next two weeks, just catching up a bit will be good, and I may leave the new challenges until after the 20th. I've missed blogging, so I'm looking forward to writing some reviews, particularly Pride and Prejudice

For now, I'm off to bed. I'm supremely tired. I'm intending to read, but I think I could easily be asleep in the next half an hour! March has started well - happy birds, a very productive day, and I've finished my 150th book on my Classic Club list!

Happy March, everyone!

Comments

  1. I missed your posts too, O! I'm glad to see that you're feeling a little better and are moving forward. Do you have a vegetable garden? I'm going to resurrect mine this year …… prices in the grocery stores are getting so expensive that when you have the room for a garden, it's silly not to take advantage of it.

    Brighton Rock is by Greene, isn't it? I've never cared for him but I do need to give him another try.

    Congratulations on your 150th book! I think I'm on my 11th, so 150 seems like years away (never mind, "seems like"; it is!). I'll be looking forward to your upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cleo :) And no, I don't have a vegetable garden - I do like the idea, but I think the chickens would destroy it!

      Delete
  2. I do hope you review Uncle Tom's Cabin. I would love to hear about this book. Happy Reading and glad to see you're onto a new month. All the best!
    Travellin' Penguin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Reckon I'll be re-starting Uncle Tom's Cabin next week.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you have a really great reading list for the coming month! I can't wait to read your reviews of Pride and Prejudice and The Phantom of the Opera. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've just finished writing a tiny bit about Pride and Prejudice, as for Phantom - I must do that, but I can't help but feel I've waited too long. I'll give it a go, though :)

      Delete
  4. I've just read - I'm very sorry for what happenend. Hopefully, Spring and all the new things it always brings will keep you busy and joyful - as will do books.

    Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      And same to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month