April.

The very first day of April, and I have been so busy recently I could happily go to bed and sleep the rest of the day away! Things, as I've said previously, have been hectic, but they're gradually starting to calm down a little: the worst of it is over, in short.

March was a very good reading month, but not so much a blogging month: I did have to make the choice between reading and blogging and the former won: I read fifteen books in March, ten of which were from my Classic Club list (now only twenty to go!). I'm so looking forward to finishing my list, if only so I can write a new one. Reckon I'll finish it around autumn time; I certainly don't plan on reading ten in April and May!

As for March reviews -
I still have a few more to write: I finished The Warden for the Chronicles of Barsetshire read-along, and I want to write about that in the next few days, and I do want to write something on Oblomov (I've written a paragraph so far). Finally, I'm still reading The Odyssey (I think everyone who joined in with that read-along has finished!), so by the end of the month I'll have something to say about that one. 

So, April. Firstly, I'm about half way through Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, and I do want to write about that. Also - the April highlight - Fanda is hosting the second Zoladdiction month, and I'm aiming to at least read and review The Belly of Paris, and I like to think I'll get on to The Conquest of Plassans. I hope that I'll be ready to make my Zola website public next year, which involves re-reading the Rougon-Macquart novels (any excuse!). I'm also contemplating re-reading Lolita for my 25 re-reads, and I'm thinking I might also read Moby-Dick by Herman Melville for The Classics Club Transcendental Literature Month. Quite a lot of re-reading going on, in short! Oh, and how could I forget - April is the month for Barsetshire Towers, another re-read, to join in with the aforementioned Chronicles of Barsetshire read-along. In May, we'll be up to Doctor Thorne - I haven't read this, nor any of the following books from this series.

As for new books (new to me, anyway) - I do plan to read Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham, and a few others from my Classics Club list. I may even re-visit D. H. Lawrence (the Women in Love incident is very hard to recover from: I do believe it is the worst book I've ever read), though I don't know if I'll go for The Rainbow or Sons and Lovers (anyone have any thoughts?).

And that is how April is looking! For now, I'm going to go to bed and read Oliver Twist. Love this book!

Anyone got any exciting April plans?

Comments

  1. Fifteen books is pretty good! I only read four :/ Hope April is a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to say, I don't know how *well* I read some of them! Kidnapped and I Claudius are complete blurs. And London Fields was atrocious, I have to say. But yes, a good reading month.

      Happy April to you :)

      Delete
    2. Whoa, awesome month for you! Do you think you'll do another round of classics after you finish your list?

      Delete
    3. For sure! I actually can't wait to make my new list! :)

      Delete
  2. Fifteen books is amazing! Sometimes blogging has to come second to reading, it has been for me recently. I'm also contemplating reading Lolita this month, though it'll be a first for me, not a reread. I hope you have a lovely April and read some brilliant books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you too :) I loved Lolita, but it's not an easy one....

      Delete
  3. Happy April! Oddly enough, Women in Love is the only Lawrence I have read too - I wonder why we both want to read more? I didn't like it either, although it was a uni book and that was many years ago. Anyway, let's go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we must! Tweet me when you're ready :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month