Dewey's Readathon.

Today is the day! I do love a readathon! This is, I think, my fifth Dewey's Readathon: the first two or three I managed a full 24 hours, but the past few I've not gone much beyond 15. Today, as tomorrow and the next few days are quite busy, I'm aiming for a mere 12. But 12 hours of reading is very welcome. And who knows, perhaps I'll surprise myself.

Today is ideal weather for reading: grey, misty, and on and off rain. It's cold here, and not at all like spring. I'm very much looking forward to sitting in front of the fire and reading my books.  

On my radar are:


I do not, of course, aim to read them all! I do want to finish Swann's Way by Proust (I'm on the last chapter, so around 60 pages away from the end), and I do want to read Émile Zola's The Attack on the Mill. After which... I'm rather drawn to Balzac's Cousin Bette, but George Eliot's Adam Bede is also a strong possibility. And, should I manage to finish one of these, I dare say I'll read the first part of Parade's End, although I do rather like the look of Bouvard and Pécuchet

We shall see... 

I have been reading all morning (which I do tend to do on a Saturday), and my morning has been spent reading 'Swann in Love' (the third chapter of Swann's Way). I think, when we start in the next five minutes, I shall go for Zola, then pick up Proust later in the day.

Have fun to all those who are joining in! I'll update this post in a few hours. For now, I need to put the fire on, sort out one or two things I really ought to have done by now (find a phone charger - that's one of the mundane tasks), make a cup of coffee, and settle down with Monsieur Zola. A perfect start to the readathon.

Update #1: So far, so good. I've read The Attack on the Mill (a short story), and ⅓ through Cousin Bette.

The Attack on the Mill was wonderful - for those who have read and enjoyed The Debacle by Zola, I suggest you check this one out.

Cousin Bette - well, I'm happy enough reading it, but I don't feel so engaged. I'm going to stick with it, then finish Swann's Way.

Hope everyone's having fun!

Update #2: I've finished Cousin Bette. It is a book I've tried over and over again to read for a few years now, and yes, at last, I've finally read it. Problem was I didn't actually like it. But it was useful to read, and I see, objectively, that it was good, and I am glad to have read it.

Next - I'm going to bed and I'm going to finish Swann's Way, after which I shall update once more, then... I don't know what I'll read next!

Update #3: I finished Swann's Way, and now to bed (the chickens will not understand my need for a lie in tomorrow, I'm afraid!). I'm going to read a little of Within a Budding Grove (second of In Search of Lost Time) and drift off to sleep. Good luck to everyone who is still going! 

Comments

  1. Happy reading, O! I'm sitting this one out because I'll be at a softball tournament all weekend. :-( My goal, however, is to read more at the tournament than I usually do, so perhaps that's sort of a weird unofficial participation. ;-) Your Balzac looks interesting ---- I just picked up a used copy of it yesterday. And Flaubert intrigues me ---- I finished Madame Bovary a couple of weeks ago and it would be fascinating to do a comparison.

    I hope you get lots of uninterrupted, relaxing time to read, read, read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re. Flaubert - I'm looking forward to reading Effi Briest by Theodor Fontane - that's supposed to have a lot of similarities with Madame Bovary. And I'm looking forward to Bouvard and Pécuchet - I do intend to get to that one today :)

      Delete
  2. Swann's Way has been looking at me from the shelf for a while now and I've been considering about a good time to tackle it. Last I read a modernist author was a long time ago, so I am sure it will not go wihout bumps at first :)

    Sounds like a perfect weather to read indeed (those pesky phone chargers, though ;) ), hope you enjoy the day/weekend, and all the best to all the feathery friends too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did find the phone charger! :)

      I'm in a bit of a modernist mood at present, and I'm enjoying it. It's hard work, though. What's making it worse is reading around, which is making me feel hopelessly stupid. I might not read around as much as I'm trying to do :)

      Delete
  3. There is something about a dreary day that does make it perfect for reading. Hope you have a fantastic Readathon. Keep up the great reading!

    #cheer #teamrogue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have some great reading weather and lovely books. Read on!

    #teamrogue #readathon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could be as committed to reading classics as you seem to be. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma :) I do love the classics!

      Delete
  6. Good that you've read a book you've been trying to read for a while, that must be very rewarding :) Hope you're able to finish Swann's Way and get a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I've been reading since 9am (it's now after 1am), so I've done fairly well!

      Delete
  7. Kudos to you! I'm a slow reader and have been lucky to finish the two books I have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only complete novel I've read was the Balzac - the Zola was very short, and I didn't have that much of Swann's Way. I wish I could have managed two books! On my first readathon I think I read eight or nine! (Very small ones, though!).

      Delete
  8. I am happy you are well underway for the readathon. Isn't it lovely to have books you love and little animals in the same room on a rainy day. Absolute bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed. The budgies were remarkably well behaved :)

      Delete
  9. I fell asleep some time at night (1 or 2 am), I hope you had a nice sleep! Finishing Swann's Way - congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riv :) I think I fell asleep 2am, or not long after. Had a good sleep, though - ready(ish) to write about Swann's Way!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month