Top Ten Favourite Classic Books (and other things).

Half-way through the year already... This year isn't going at the breakneck speed of 2013, but all the same I'm surprised we're already into summer. I've been reading a lot at present (partly because I have something wrong with my foot, not sure what exactly but it's being looked into, so I'm not able to walk very well at present), and I'm excited to say I only have six books left on my Classic Club list! I was intending to finish in August, but who knows... Perhaps this month will be the month! That said, I also have Moby-Dick and Framley Parsonage planned for July, and they are fairly large, and four of those books left on the Classic Club list aren't so short either, so perhaps August is most likely. At the moment I'm reading Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore and I love it so much, but it's not an easy read (the style is quite tricky), so I won't be flying through that one. 

Today would usually be the day I'd lay out my plans for the month in more detail but just last week I wrote about the books I want to read over the summer, so instead I shall start the month by partaking in Top Ten Tuesday.


Top Ten Favourite Classic Books:

1. Orlando by Virginia Woolf.


2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë 


3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.


4. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson.


5. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.


6. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.


7. Germinal by Émile Zola.


8. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë.


9. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.


10. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.


Of course, ask me tomorrow and I'll present a different list! That said, I found a list from two years ago on my Tumblr of my top ten favourite books, and I see I've remained faithful to three of them. This was the list:
  1. To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf 
  2. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë.
  3. Written on the Body, Jeanette Winterson.
  4. Little Women, Lousia May Alcott 
  5. Diary of a Provincial Lady, E. M. Delafield.
  6. Secret History, Donna Tartt.
  7. Prozac Nation, Elizabeth Wurtzel.
  8. Orlando, Virginia Woolf.
  9. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, J. K. Rowling.
  10. The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood.
I should write another top ten list in two years time and see what changes!

Happy July, everyone!

Comments

  1. I'm so very glad to see Little Women on your list. It's a book quite dear to my heart. xx I spy a Steinbeck! Anne Brontë is incredible. Lots of great ones! Maybe one day if I ever finish it, Clarissa will make my list! I don't at all dislike it -- I just grew tired of holding its epic girth. :)

    Yes, wee should repeat in two years! I'm sure mine will have changed. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's already changed - how did I not include Trollope?! Or Dickens!? This should have been a top 20, it would have been much kinder :)

      Delete
  2. "ask me tomorrow and I'll present a different list" - I'm exactly the same! It's always so hard to pick your favourites, and I feel like it depends on what you've read recently (or haven't read).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. The worst is when someone asks "What's your one favourite book?" - that answer changes by the minute!

      Delete
  3. Great list! The Picture of Dorian Gray is my absolute favourite - it was the book that convinced me I wanted to be an English major. Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm due a re-read of that. Only read it fairly recently, no idea why it took me so long! It's amazing :)

      Delete
  4. Great Expectations and Jane Eyre would definitely be on my list too. I must really get around to Orlando. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orlando, I'm so sure, will always be in my top ten :) Do read it, it's incredible!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant to see The Tenant of Wildfell Hall on there - excellent book but massively overshadowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Anne Bronte always is. I hate that, she's an absolute genius. I wish so much she could have written more.

      Delete
  6. Excellent list! I'm happy to see Tenant of Wildfell Hall... it seems to me that Anne is underrated. Was planning to have The Belly of Paris be my next Zola novel, but am wondering if I should go straight to Germinal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anne always seems to be "the other Bronte". So very wrong.

      The Belly of Paris is excellent, too :) Would love to hear your thoughts on Germinal, though!

      Delete
  7. I'm so excited to see Germinal on your list! That's on my must read list this year and I was a little nervous about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zola is amazing and naturalism has its way of drawing you in and making you connect with the characters on such a deep level. You'll find out that there is nothing to be nervous about and it is a very enjoyable novel in spite of its subject (if you read translated fiction make sure it has good reviews).

      Delete
    2. Yes, beware of E.A. Vizetelly! Peter Collier's my preferred translator for Germinal.

      Can't wait for your thoughts, Melissa! It's so awesome!

      Delete
  8. That was so interesting to see your two different lists. I know I could make a top ten and then, later realized that there were 5 books that I had forgotten. :-)

    I read Orlando so long ago, I can't really remember it, but I loved the movie! So weird!

    The Picture of Dorian Gray has a special place on my list ---- I hated it for the first half of the book and then ended up loving it at the end.

    Les Miserables and Jane Eyre …….. well, what more can you say about these two excellent works?

    I'm glad to see Great Expectations on your list …….. it's coming up for me as I make my way through Dickens' works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the film as well! So amazing!

      Great Expectations is one of my favourite Dickens novels - plan to re-read it in the autumn :)

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy I chose Orlando as a teen from my hometown library. It was my first encounter with Virginia Woolf and really made me read more female authors (even as females we get sucked in the patriarchal mindset sometimes).

    Otherwise, you cannot go wrong with this list! Classic and quite diverse. I've yet to read Clarissa and I'm a little nervous about the length. Really long books seem a daunting project for people with short attention spans...and this comes from someone who loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fairly short attention span as well :) But don't be put off by the length, it's truly gripping!

      Delete
  10. I enjoy reading your blog and have therefore nominated you for the "Inspirational Blogger Award"!
    Here is the link:

    http://ipsofactodotme.wordpress.com/2014/07/05/youre-kidding-right/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thank you! I shall go look! :)

      Delete
  11. I only read 4 of your top ten classics, personal favorite is Germinal. The idea of making a reading plan for the month sounds interesing. I just start the book that seems interesting at the time! I will have to see if a plan works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do make a reading plan, but I don't always stick to it. This month probably won't be any different - I was planning on having at least got to the half way point of Moby-Dick! I may end up leaving it for next month.

      Delete
  12. I've got a post on my favourite books on my blog! Most of the novels featured here I've either read or have it on my list to read!

    Have a lovely day :)

    alexandranicolexo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month