The Classic Club Spin #7.


Time for another Classic Club spin, and this is my first spin with a new list!

The rules: 
  • Go to your blog. 
  • Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List. 
  • Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.) 
  • Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday. 
  • Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce. 
  • The challenge is to read that book by October 6, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
Because this is a new list, there's none I'm either dreading (wary, though) or neutral about, so for this one I shall be using Random.org to make the list. So without further ado....
  1. Virgil - The Aeneid 
  2. Hugo, Victor - The Toilers of the Sea 
  3. Sturluson, Snorri - The Prose Edda 
  4. Shakespeare, William - Julius Caesar 
  5. Fontane, Theodor - Effi Briest
  6. Flaubert, Gustave - Selected Letters 
  7. Forster, E. M. - Maurice 
  8. Stoker, Bram - Dracula 
  9. Zola, Émile - Money 
  10. Erasmus, Desiderius - Praise of Folly 
  11. Steinbeck, John - A Russian Journal 
  12. Homer - The Iliad
  13. Austen, Jane - Mansfield Park 
  14. Bruyère, Jean de la - Characters
  15. Lewis, Wyndham - Tarr 
  16. Voltaire - Letters on England 
  17. Dostoyevsky, Fyodor - The Adolescent 
  18. Wells, H. G. - The Invisible Man
  19. Bazán, Emilia Pardo - The House of Ulloa 
  20. Škvorecký, Josef - The Cowards
I have to admit: Das Kapital and The Forsyte Saga came up in the first twenty: these are both so so long, and I don't think, even if I focussed on them, I'd be able to read them by October! 

So there it is! None that I don't want, but I'd be very happy to get Voltaire's Letters on England, Fontane's Efii Briest, or Hugo's The Toilers of the Sea

Comments

  1. Ah, "Mansfield Park". That book is my favourite Austen, I used to hate her before and it converted me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Mansfield Park (it's a re-read for me). I have struggled with Austen in the past, but I have always liked this one.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I see. How do you rank her novels?

      Delete
    3. Pride and Prejudice is the best, and I loved Mansfield Park. Hated Emma, so that would be at the bottom (hate and despise Emma, actually). As for the rest... well, I really didn't like them, but as I say I reckon there's a possibility I've been converted and I *may* now have a new appreciation. We'll see when I read S&S :)

      Delete
    4. Hmmm. Okay. I prefer the 3 later novels to the early ones though.

      Delete
  2. Both The Iliad and The Aeneid! How did you manage that? ;-) Your whole list looks good, although I have to admit I could be done with Flaubert for awhile after reading Madame Bovary. I still have to read Money ---- I forgot to bring it on vacation but I plan to start it when I get back.

    Good luck with your spin! I'm waiting with baited breath to see what you get! (Wherever did that saying come from? It would be interesting to find out!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled it! Apparently it came from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice:

      What should I say to you? Should I not say
      'Hath a dog money? is it possible
      A cur can lend three thousand ducats?' Or
      Shall I bend low and in a bondman's key,
      With bated breath and whispering humbleness, Say this;
      'Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last;
      You spurn'd me such a day; another time
      You call'd me dog; and for these courtesies
      I'll lend you thus much moneys'?

      Out of The Iliad and The Aeneid, I hope Iliad comes out because I need a shove to read it. First reading of it did not go too well!

      Delete
  3. My reaction is similar to Cleopatra, after Mme Bovary I distanced myself from Flaubert. He's back on my CB list after tow years seperation, I hope you get Dracual of Praise of Folly.....these were really good reads. No Austen, Mansefield Park is the only one I have not read. Unfortunately Austen is not on my lists.....she and I do not always see eye to ete. We have agreed to disagree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do see what you mean about Austen. It's been a struggle for me for years - I've said a lot that I even hated her, but Pride and Prejudice changed my mind so I want to re-read them to see if my new way of reading her stands for all of them. I can't yet bring myself to re-read Emma, though.

      Praise of Folly, I think, will be a good read. Looking forward to that. Sort of hope I don't get Dracula - I'd perhaps like that as an October read :)

      Delete
  4. I'm happy to see Effi Briest on the list, and The Aeneid is a favorite of mine. Good luck with your spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to Effi Briest! :)

      Delete
  5. Yay! I love the Classics Club spins. You've got some great possibilities too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't wait for Monday :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month