September.

September! This is one of my favourite months, it's so full of beauty and possibility. Even though I graduated from university nine years ago I still feel the electric buzz of new starts, new books, and new notebooks! I love this time of year, and October too, the equinox (vernal or autumnal) is such an exciting time.

I'm happy to be leaving August. It's been a sad month, though three good things came from it - a new Classics Club list (which I have to admit I altered slightly despite declaring I wouldn't any more, now, though, I'll leave it alone!), and the two baby budgies - Zola and Pepys. They're doing very well and are in the very early stages of being tamed. My only goal is to get them to sit on my hand and be able to move them, and I can just about manage both but only when they're very tired. As for the hens: they're all well, though not enjoying all the rain we've been having. Daisy's finally learned that it's not good to get wet: until recently I've had to bring her in from the rain, but now she does it herself. And they're getting on almost perfectly (Charlotte's very irritable when it comes to even the very idea of someone stealing her food, and Daisy's very greedy so it's sometime to keep an eye on. But apart from that it's all good). 

As for reading: I'm nearly at the end of my 20 Books of Summer: I have half of The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg, Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot, and The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope left, and the goal is to finish them by 23rd September (first day of autumn). And I have The Adolescent by Dostoyevsky to read for my Classic Club spin. Since around the end of May I've had a very rigid reading list, which is something I will never do again! Once I've finished these titles, the only book I'm really planning on reading is Keats: the Poetical Works. If I can, I would like to get to Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford, but I'll see. I've been meaning to read it for far too long!

So, there are the September plans. This is a rather short post because I say I've had a rigid reading list for some months now, so I fear I'm rather repeating myself with these titles! It'll be good to finish, and all I'll have left is my Russian Literature Challenge and the TBR 2014 Challenge (I hope to read all the books, but I don't think I'll be writing about them all - I read Middlesex last month, and I did enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'll get a good post out of it).

Happy September, everyone!

Comments

  1. I love that September feeling too. I'm a teacher and it feels so strange not to be preparing for a new academic year at the moment, as I'm on maternity leave.
    Well done for sticking to a reading list for the past few months, I find that next to impossible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't know if I *will* stick to it! Three books to go, two short, one long, and all I want to read right now is Harry Potter. I mean, it *is* pretty hard to resist the lure of Harry Potter, especially when one hasn't read it for three years! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm thrilled that September has begun. It starts my favorite quarter of the year. I revel in all that happens between Sept. 1 and the end of the year. The seasonal changes, the start of football again, all the holidays, the community events and family celebrations. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect! I'm looking forward to starting your RIP challenge - I usually start it from the first day of autumn. Planning that will be great fun! :)

      Delete
  3. We've had very good weather here, so I'm not yet thinking about autumn, although I do love it. Since we usually have so much rain, I'm going to enjoy the sunshine while it lasts!

    Why didn't you like having such a rigid reading list? You got through so many books, but was your dislike of it because you didn't feel like you enjoyed them because you read too fast?

    I'm still trying to clean up my currently-reading and keep up with reads I've committed to, so I can't yet think of new goals. I hope I can get to that point by December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that I've left myself little room to manoeuvre - all the books I listed I *did* want to read, but I've moved on a bit, new books (and old) have come to mind! For example, a few weeks ago I could have happily read The Iliad, but I thought I should finish what I have on the go already, however I wasn't inspired by what I had on my list, so I actually just watched two episodes of Law and Order SVU and went to bed! It's no good! I don't mind lists, but I *do* mind deadlines! Right now I've rejected the lot in favour of Harry Potter, but I will try to finish it. Also, reading too fast - that was a problem with Moby-Dick. Do think I messed that read up (hence I won't be writing about it).

      I'm also a little annoyed with myself for having Infinite Jest on my TBR Challenge. That was a tad ambitious! The December me should remember these TBR titles do eventually have to be read! :)

      Delete
  4. Happy September! This is my favorite time of year, too, and has been for as long as I was going to school. Even though I'm not in school anymore, you're right, there's still something magical about this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Autumn! I'm moved and settled and I feel like my reading mojo has returned. I'm devouring The Haunting of Hill House right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good :) I'm into Harry Potter, now reading the second one - it's an appropriate September read I feel, and it *will* be a classic one day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

The Book Tag.

20 Books of Summer.