Top Ten Tuesday.

Happy Autumn, everyone! Oh, how I love this season! It's started with a rather misty and damp morning with a lovely breeze. I woke up to coffee and the dawn chorus, and I have a day ahead with not a great deal planned so I'm looking forward to beginning The Iliad (with the hope that the second time around is a little more successful!), and perhaps writing a post about Macbeth or The Sorrows of Young Werther, both of which I plan on writing about this week. 

In the meantime: this week's Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke and the Bookish is "Top Ten Books On My Fall To-Be-Read list". It's hard to believe that it was three months ago that I wrote "Top Ten Books on my Summer To-Be-Read list". I've just looked at the post and I'm happy to say I read nine of them (the one I missed was The Decameron by Boccaccio). As for the autumn list: I said in the last post I didn't want to make any plans or lists for autumn, so instead of a Top Ten Books on my TBR pile, I give you my Top Ten Autumn Reads (which I may or may not read this autumn):


Top Ten Autumn Reads:
1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.



2. The Poetry of John Keats.


3. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.


4. Macbeth by William Shakespeare.


5. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.


6. Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe.


7. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.


8. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy



9. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson.



10. The Divine Comedy by Dante.


All of these books, I think, are great to read in the autumn, but there are a few I'm particularly interested in for reading over the next few months: Dante, Richardson, Tolkien... For now, though, I'm going to begin The Iliad, and my bedtime book is Very Good, Jeeves - I need something a little more light-hearted after The Sorrows of Young Werther!

Once again - a happy autumn to you all! :

Comments

  1. Hi O! Happy fall! I like how you spun your list--some books are just written to be read in the fall months. I've never read War and Peace, but it is on my winter list for this year (and has been ever since I accidentally thought about winter a couple of months ago). I hope all is well with you. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my English teacher telling us War and Peace was a summer read - it's just not! Autumn or winter, for sure, but not summer! :)

      Delete
  2. I vascilate back and forth on Wuthering Heights. Some people love it and some hate it.
    www.she-read.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of my favourites :)

      Delete
  3. Well, I am interested to hear your opinion on several of these (Hobbit, Turn of the Screw, and Clarissa) for all different reasons. I have never read Clarissa, but I've been curious b/c I have heard rumors. And rumors just make readers all the more curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Clarissa before - loved it, and looking forward to re-reading it. As for Turn of the Screw - loved that as well - my review is here. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm loving all the classics in your list! The Hobbit is one of my favorites and I try to read it once every year.
    http://readinggoodbooks.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/top-ten-tuesdays-fall-reads/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read it once - definitely a good autumn read :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful list! Autumn is the ultimate cozy classics reading time. I tried reading Clarissa once but didn't finish. Some day I'll get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent list of classics for fall. I love Northanger Abbey and am longer overdue for a reread... wonder if I can add just one more to my fall list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Northanger Abbey as well, will certainly get to it this month :)

      Delete
  7. What a great list! The Hobbit is on my list as well and I'm hoping to squeeze in Wuthering Heights if I can :)
    http://bookpilesandblanketforts.blogspot.ca/2014/09/top-ten-tuesday-whats-on-your-fall-tbr.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading The Iliad too right now! I love it! I find the characters absolutely compelling. Clarissa is definitely going to be on my next CC list. I'm starting free online courses on both Shakespeare and Dante, so I'll be forced to get through some of my Shakespeare Project, thank goodness!

    A great list, O! It looks very balanced after your very un-balanced spring. I hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm lovin' this list right now. Props for representin' Northanger Abbey (severely underrated as far as Austen is concerned in my opinion) and of course Keats--my literary hero. Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness...how appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I'm really falling in love with Keats :)

      Delete
  10. I do love your list - some great choices for your Autumn reading. It's Spring down here and I'm feeling very undecided about what to read next from my CC list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy autumn! Isn't it just the best season? It just makes me want to read more and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed the best. Just lit the coal fire, waiting for it to take (rather cold this morning!).

      Delete
  12. Wonderful list! Northanger Abbey and Poe, perfect fall choices!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month