Top Ten Tuesday.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke and the Bookish is:
Top Ten Books On My Winter TBR.
1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. 


I read it last year, I will read it this year, and I will read it next year.

2. The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare.


"A sad tale's best for winter. I have one 
Of sprites and goblins."
(Act II scene I)

3. Domestic Manners of the Americans by Fanny Trollope.


This I bought today, and plan on reading as soon as I've finished my James Joyce biography. 
It's by Fanny Trollope, Anthony Trollope's mother, and it's a rather damning account of her travels in America (published in 1832), which led her to be, in Mark Twain's words, 
"so handsomely cursed and reviled by this nation".

4. The Legend of Good Women by Geoffrey Chaucer.



5. Good Wives by Louisa May Alcott.


I re-read Little Women last Christmas and decided to save Good Wives for this Christmas.

6. Armadale by Wilkie Collins.


This, I hope, is going to be one of my first 2015 reads. One of the lead characters, Miss Gwilt, is described as "One of the most hardened female villains whose devices and desires have ever blackened fiction"! It's at least partly set in Norfolk (I'm going off the blurb at the back) so I will read this as part of my Reading England Challenge.

7. Exemplary Stories by Miguel de Cervantes.


I've been meaning to read this since I read Don Quixote.

8. The Nibelungenlied


I haven't made my list yet for Fanda's Literary Movement Challenge, but I think I'll be reading this for the first month, which is medieval literature.

9. The Life and Letters of Leslie Stephen by Frederick William Maitland.


I've been meaning to read this practically since it came out (ok, that might be a slight exaggeration), so it will be on my TBR 2015 Challenge (I still need to decide on the final titles for this challenge). It's said to contain the first published words of Virginia Woolf: I've flicked through it, and I think I know the part that is being referred to, and I'm convinced they are Vanessa Bell's words. But I shall read it and find out!

10. The Diaries of Francis Kilvert.


Another book I've been meaning to read for quite a while! It's the diaries of the Rev. Francis Kilvert, who lived in both Wiltshire and Herefordshire (so I'll also be reading it for my Reading England Challenge).

A busy winter lies before me! 

Comments

  1. I just reread A Christmas Carol! I loved it the most on the third read. Just magical. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: You might want to adjust your blogroll. Restless me moved again. Click my name for the new one. Sorry! :P

      Delete
    2. Brilliant! I'm glad :) Are you back on Twitter as well? Glad you're back, you're always a miss. I looked again for you quite recently when I was doing that Classic Club quiz but Wordpress said you were private again, so I just added your blog to my blogroll hoping you'd return. Yay! I've updated it, anyway.

      And A Christmas Carol - so perfect!! Are you going to watch the George C Scott version this year as well? It's been on TV 3 times already here, but I'm waiting for December before I watch it :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I did the CC Survey too. It's at my new place. :)

      No, on Twitter. I prefer to be a little more quiet, and just journal. For now anyway. :) And absolutely, on George C. Scott! I watch it every year!

      Delete
    4. Good stuff, I shall go and read it :)

      Delete
  2. You have the most intriguing lists!

    Love the Christmas Carol book cover. I am saving it to my Pinterest. I should have added that title to my Top Ten b/c I usually reread it to my kids a week before Christmas.

    Yikes! I'd like to read Domestic Manners of the Americans. Sounds scathing. My kind of topic.

    And Good Wives is definitely a new addition to my future TBR list.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen that Christmas Carol book cover before - have you? I'm more used to seeing that lovely blue one (here).

      I can't wait for Domestic Manners! I've just finished my Joyce biog (just now, actually!) but I remembered that I have my Classic Club spin to read (New Grub Street). Think I'll read that next, and then Domestic Manners. It's quite scathing indeed - I'll quote a bit from the intro:

      "To 'trollopize', that is 'to abuse the American nation', became a recognized verb in the English language. A New York publisher advised Mrs. Trollope's compatriot, Harriet Martineau, concerning her own forthcoming book on America: 'Well! then you might Trollopize a bit, and so make a readable book. I would give you something handsome for it.'

      :)

      Delete
  3. Christmas in Australia is hot & sunny. Reading A Christmas Carol never seems to be the right season here!
    I tend to have a mix of beach reads and bio's for this time of year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beach reads! I can't imagine a hot and sunny Christmas! Here we wish for snow and usually get cold, damp, rainy, messy weather followed by floods.

      I think maybe I'd rather the sun.... :)

      Delete
  4. It must be nice to read Christmas Carol each year :) Last year was my first year to read it, but it was a lovely story. Also, each year I keep telling myself to re-read Little Women during Christmas and it never happens... Enjoy The Nibelungenlied - I remember when I was a kid, I had the children's version of it and it was quite a magical story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like The Nibelungenlied - I'm slightly intimidated by it, but that's probably because I know nothing about it :)

      Delete
  5. I really must read A Christmas Carol this year. I've got plans to read some more Wilkie this winter and I never can resist a reread of The Winter's Tale. Looks like you have a great winter ahead of you - enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Which Wilkie books are you going to read? I'm still a Wilkie newbie - I have No Name and Basil on my Classics Club, and Woman in White for a re-read, but when I saw Armadale I couldn't resist buying it!

      Delete
  6. I have A Christmas Carol and A Winter's Tale on my table to read too! I had no idea that these works of Cervantes existed. There you go again .... finding these little treasures! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually went out looking for that Cervantes - you know my Guardian Top 50 Literary figures? I wanted to write a post on each one of them, but the idea of re-reading Don Quixote didn't fill me with enthusiasm so I had to go look for other things he had written :)

      Delete
  7. Love Good Wives even more than Little Women!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your first two entries are Winter themed for your winter reading list! It's nice too to see less well known titles that probably won't be on other people's list: Trollope and Kilvert.

    I've been meaning to read The Nibelungenlied. Are you a fan of Wagner's Ring Cycle operas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all, I'm afraid - would it help reading The Nibelungenlied? I know nothing about it! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm not a big fan of Wagner either or much Opera. I keep trying, but find it hard to appreciate (although I do like individual arias and other musical pieces from various operas). Part of Wagner's famous Ring Cycle is based off the Nibelungenlied.

      Delete
    3. I'll look out for it - thanks for that tip :)

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of Good Wives! I just reread Little Women last year and so I should check that one out. Around the holidays I love rereading old favorites. I'm thinking maybe I Capture the Castle this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering - maybe you've actually read Good Wives and not realised - I think that a lot of American editions combine the two under the title Little Women - might that be possible?

      I haven't read I Capture the Castle for YEARS! Just seeing it mentioned again makes me want to re-read it.... :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

The Book Tag.

20 Books of Summer.