Happy New Year!


Happy 2015, everyone!

Today has started off very wet, grey, and windy - the perfect day for reading! I'm hoping, once I've made the lunch, to get a head start on my 2015 Challenges: my first book of the year is going to be Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. I'm looking forward to curling up in my favourite armchair in front of the fire and beginning it. And from this evening I'll have nothing else to do, so I shall have myself a little readathon! 

I've got lots of plans for reading this January - I'm so eager to get started on the many books I have listed for 2015. This month I also want to read Troilus and Criseyde by Geoffrey Chaucer for Fanda's Literary Movement Challenge, as well as one or two other books for my Reading England Challenge (Daniel Deronda is set in London, so that will be my first), and, hopefully, at least two if not three from my TBR Pile (I am so determined to complete it this year!). So so much I want to read!

I'm looking forward to 2015. I found 2014 to be a difficult year, and I'm grateful for this day because it provides a kind of line to draw under the old. Last year, anticipating some of the difficulties that would come, I went easy on myself - participating in less challenges, and aiming to read a lot less than previous years. The overall tone of last year felt negative, and not just on a personal level. It seemed such a bad year that The Guardian felt the need to reassure its readers that there were indeed worse years (ten, to be precise). There was too much loss, pain, illness, arguments, and bad feeling for myself and, clearly, the world as well. It seemed too that we've been encouraged to be negative, encouraged to be angry, outraged, but not at the right things. I've felt distracted and tired by it, and I've felt that it's been far too easy to be distracted from what was important and what is truly worth getting angry about. I want to move forward for it, and, my main resolution for 2015, I resolve not to be dominated by these negative feelings. At the very least, where I can't change what is happening outside, I hope that I can change the way I deal with it. I think that's one of those life lessons that sound very trite, but there's truth in it!

So, back to 2015! I have to press on with making the lunch (a Sunday dinner minus the meat - probably the healthiest I've eaten since well before Christmas!), and then Daniel Deronda. I am so excited about my goals for 2015 that I'm eager to get on! This is going to be a big year what with the General Election in May, and I think there's going to be a lot of this negative energy (for want of a better phrase) floating about for a good deal longer. I hope, then, that 2015 is a good year for us all in spite of it - a happy, focussed, and productive year!

Once again, then - Happy New Year! 

Comments

  1. I'm feeling some similar stirrings this year. There is a lot out there to make us feel blue, but so much beauty, too. I hope yours is a lovely new year, lovely lady! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, and same to you - have a lovely lovely year! <3

      Delete
  2. I wish you all of the best . I think 2014 had a lot of negativity in it also. I have decided to not watch so much political news as I only get upset by all the stupid decisions being made here in Australian government. I too am going to hide myself in books that I get pleasure from in my library and not get so side tracked by all the book recommendations by others. I have a pile of them I am quite excited to be reading. I'm also playing with the little penguin icon that I put on my blog and am having fun experimenting making him more three dimensional. He has turned into a little paper doll. I;ve yet to introduce him to the world yet. haha
    All the best for the year and I look to following what you're doing during the next year both with your reading and your lovely birds. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 I'm hoping for a better year with the birds - 2014 was a bad time. You know Emily and Myshkin died, and - I didn't blog about this at the time because I was too upset - Zola, the baby budgie, died in October. Annie the hen has been very ill, too, but after a month of hand feeding and keeping her indoors she's finally put her weight back on. Doubt she'll be out before the spring, but she's so so much better!

      Happy new year, and looking forward to seeing the penguin! :D

      Delete
  3. There is so much truth in this post. 2014 wasn't a great one for me either and it only started to look a bit better by the end of the year (people were super engaged in elections here and very happy with the results which I never thought I'd see-but the future is always uncertain).

    There was much negativity last year but it also shows how resilient we are. I've resolved to ask myself questions like "Does it truly matter?" or "Can I do something about it?" before reacting or spending too much energy on something. Also, get myself a good dose of silly positivism that I want to spread around me haha.

    Can't wait to read about your new book/life adventures in 2015 :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't know anyone who had a good year last year. It's been a battle for so many!

      Anyway, it's gone - here's to 2015! :)

      Delete
  4. 'I hope I can change the way I deal with it' ........I need to meditate on that one. A lot of bad stuff last year and It's hard to let go but something I need to deal with.

    I'm excited about this year's reading and the challenges and can't wait to make a start.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to change the way we deal with stuff, and sometimes the stuff is so huge it doesn't matter *what* our attitude is. but for the small things, yes, I need to not get so involved and screwy over them when they don't matter.

      Happy new year! :)

      Delete
  5. 2014 did seem like a really negative and disastrous year. Here's too 2015 being much better. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very happy New Year - it sounds like you have a lovely day planned. It's been a pleasure discovering your blog this year. I hope this is a more peaceful year, one that brings all good things - starting with good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I hope you have a lovely year and some excellent books :)

      Delete
  7. Good luck with Daniel Deronda. It's one of the few Eliot books I still need to read. I just started Aurora Floyd by M.E. Braddon. It's one of those books that's been sitting on my shelf for way too long; I just need to get it read. Hope you have a Happy New Year...and a happy year of reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about half way through DD, and it was a very slow start (I wasn't loving it) but now I'm finally in to it! :)

      Happy new year to you too :)

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you had a rough past year. I hope 2015 will be better for you -- if your reading list is any indication, it should be quite entertaining at least. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope so! Hope you have a good year, too! :)

      Delete
  9. Happy new year! :) 2014 has been quite rough, but I hope - as you wrote - that 2015 will bring a little bit more of joy. And lots of good books, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, and same to you - many many good books! :D

      Delete
  10. I'm hoping to get to Daniel Deronda this year as well. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll end up recommending Daniel Deronda - I didn't love it to begin with, but I'm really warming to it now :)

      Happy new year to you, too :)

      Delete
  11. There's certainly been a lot of ugliness in the world lately, and I can only hope that 2015 is much better for all of us. It certainly is nice to have that separation line.

    Your enthusiasm for your 2015 projects makes me want to get started on my own! Have fun and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year! Daniel Deronda is one of my 2015 challenges,too, and also a re-read of Middlemarch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Middlemarch - took a second read for me to truly appreciate it :)

      I finished Daniel Deronda yesterday - just writing my review now to go up tomorrow - I really enjoyed it and I hope you do, too :)

      Delete
  13. Happy New Year! I think you summed up a lot of how I felt about 2015. Personally, a lot of good things happened, but with them came a lot of anxiety. We moved and both changed jobs, which was something we were planning to do, but it all happened so fast. Now that I'm starting to settle into our new place and new home, I'm hoping 2015 will be engaging with my new community and really finding a place where I fit in. 2014 left me feeling unmoored. Because of that, I mostly turned to comfort "easy" reads in 2014, so I'm looking forward to challenging myself a little bit more in 2015!! I hope that 2015 is filled with positivity for you, for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're settling in - that sounds like a rather challenging year and I'm not surprised you went for the "easy reads" :)

      Good luck for your 2015 challenges, happy new year! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Month