Top Ten Favourite Illustrators.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish is a freebie, so I've opted to do...
Top Ten Favourite Illustrators:


1. Florence Harrison (1877 - 1955).  
For Early Poems by
William Morris.
For 'The Defence of Guenevere' by
William Morris.
For 'A Dream of Fair Women' by
Alfred Lord Tennyson.
For 'A Birthday' by
Christina Rossetti.
For 'The Sailing of a Sword' by
William Morris.
For 'Sea Fairies' by
Alfred Lord Tennyson.
2. Edmund Dulac (1882 - 1953).

For Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám
(رباعیات عمر خیام)
For The Tempest by
William Shakespeare.
'The Raven' by
Edgar Allan Poe.
'The Princess and the Pea' for
Hans Christian Andersen.
For Stories from Hans Andersen.
For Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám
(رباعیات عمر خیام)
3. Arthur Rackham (1867 - 1939).

For Undine by Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué.
For Richard Wagener's Ring Cycle: The Valkyrie 
For A Midsummer Night's Dream by
William Shakespeare.
For Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by
Lewis Carroll.
For A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
For Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens by J. M. Barrie.
4. Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale (1871 - 1945).

For The Idylls of the King by
Alfred Lord Tennyon.
Inspired by The Ugly Princess by
Charles Kingsley.
From The Book of Old English Songs and Ballads,
by Eleanor Fortescue Brickdale.
For The Idylls of the King by
Alfred Lord Tennyon.
For The Idylls of the King by
Alfred Lord Tennyon.
For The Idylls of the King by
Alfred Lord Tennyon.
5. Hugh Thomson (1860 - 1920).

For The Admirable Crichton,
by J. M. Barrie.
For The Merry Wives of Windsor by
William Shakespeare.
For She Stoops to Conquer by
Oliver Goldsmith.
For The Merry Wives of Windsor by
William Shakespeare.
For Quality Street by
J. M. Barrie.
For The Scarlet Letter by
Nathaniel Hawthorne.
6. Warwick Goble (1862 - 1943)

For 'The Wife of Bath' from The Cantebury
Tales
by Geoffrey Chaucer.
'The Six Swans' for The Fairy Book by
Dinah Craik.
For 'The Squire's Tale' from The Canterbury
Tales
by Geoffrey Chaucer.
For 'Little Red Riding Hood' from The Fairy Book by
Dinah Craik.
For Green Willow and Other Japanese Fairy Tales
by Grace James.
'The Iron Stove' from The Fairy Book byDinah Craik.
7. Beatrix Potter (1866  -1943)

From The Tale of Two Bad Mice.
From The Tailor of Gloucester.
From The Rabbits' Christmas Party.
From The Tailor of Gloucester.
From The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse.
From The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
8. Walter Crane (1845 - 1915)

'A masque of days'
from the last essays of Elia
Beauty and the Beast
'Stories of the Knights of the Round Table'
by Henry Gilbert
'Neptune's Horses' (detail) from
The Greek Mythological Legend.
Puss in Boots.
'Ophelia' for Flowers from Shakespeare's
Garden.
9. William Blake (1757 - 1827)

Songs of Innocence and Experience.
For John Milton's L`Allegro and Il Penseroso.
The Sick Rose
The Clod and the Pebble
The Lamb
The Tyger

10. Henry Justice Ford (1860 - 1941).

The Book of Princes and Pirncesses
From The Lilac Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.
From The Orange Fairy Book by Andrew Lang
'The Queen and the Crab'
'Sleeping Beauty'
For The Tempest by William Shakespeare.


Comments

  1. Oh, wow. These are beautiful. I especially like the Warwick Goble ones. :)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Warwick Goble, especially the Chaucer illustrations :)

      Delete
  2. These are gorgeous! Very romantic style. Several of the illustrators have a similar manner; I almost could not tell them apart. I have always loved when authors(poets) also illustrate, such as Blake.

    BTW, how is it that you come into the knowledge of these great illustrations: is it by research, or do you actually own copies of books/poetry that feature these illustrators?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I had some of these illustrated books! :)

      No, it's because a while ago I decided I wanted to include more illustrations on this blog (a hangover of my love of Tumblr!) so when I read a book I look for it on Internet Archive, and if that doesn't come up with illustrated books (or if the quality isn't so good) I'll go on either Google or Pinterest and simply google "[book name] illustrations". Because I've been doing this for a good few months a lot of illustrators have now stuck in my mind. I knew Rackham and Dulac, and Blake of course, oh and Potter, but the rest are ones I've found along the way and come to love :)

      Delete
    2. So I can find them easier in the future for whatever reason, I am going to share your post on Pinterest again. : ) Some of these I just want to use as screen savers - they are so beautiful.

      Delete
  3. This is a great post for you ....... you're the queen of finding lovely illustrations! And it's been an informative post for me because I've only heard of Rackham, Potter and Blake. I'm shocked that I'm so ignorant as to illustrators. My favourite one is the one of The Princess and the Pea ...... great perspective. I've never really cared for Blake's illustrations though ....... they look so wishy-washy to me and I feel like they're going to slide right off the page.

    Oh, and I second Ruth's question! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding illustrations! I was clueless until a few months ago (maybe a bit longer than that) when I decided to try and include them more on this blog instead of just putting the odd ones up on Tumblr or Pinterest :)

      As for finding them - I've answered above :)

      Delete
  4. Love all of these but I especially love illustrators who do animals, usually in children's books. Love Beatrix Potter and I also love Cecil Aldin's illustrations of dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecil Aldin... I'll have to check him out! :)

      I love animal illustrations too, especially Beatrix Potter!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I'm glad you like them :D

      Delete
  6. So much beauty in just one post! They're all amazing. I'm glad someone loves illustrations just as much as I do :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most definitely do, really enjoying finding new (to me) illustrators and exploring their work :)

      Delete
  7. This is stunning, I hope you do more collecting for us. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are gorgeous! I love the fantastical theme you have!
    Beatrix Potter is a classic! I loved her books growing up and her drawing are unbeatable! :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-tuesday-book-to-film-adaptations.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. My personal favourites are from the Tailor of Gloucester :)

      Delete
  9. A lovely selection. I would add, in no particular order, Edward Ardizzone, Mervyn Peake (especially his illustrations to 'Treasure Island'), Chris Riddell, Paul Hogarth's illustrations for H Rider Haggard's 'King Solomon's Mines', Tove Jansson and Charles Vess - the heir to Arthur Rackham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check those all out - cheers, mate :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it - I had much fun putting it together :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, these are too lovely - I could look at them all day! I'm familiar with Crane, Potter, Dulac and Rackham, but the others are new to me. I especially like Florence Harrison and Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale's works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale - she very new to me as well, only learned about her in December. It's making me look forward to reading The Idylls of the King much more :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

The Book Tag.

20 Books of Summer.