Classics Club Spin.


I am so happy there's a spin! I love the Classics Club Spin!

The rules:
  • Go to your blog.
  • Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
  • Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
  • Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
  • Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
  • The challenge is to read that book by February 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
Rather than have five I 'can't wait to read', five 'neutrals' etc I'm going straight for twenty scary ones, or, at the least, I've no real enthusiasm for - The Spin can be credited for getting me to read some books I'd been dreading and I'd like to keep up the tradition. So, here's my list:
  1. Rabelais, François - Gargantua and Pantagruel
  2. Dostoyevsky, Fyodor - Crime and Punishment
  3. Fielding, Henry - Jonathan Wild
  4. Oliphant, Margaret - Miss Marjoribanks
  5. Sterne, Laurence - A Sentimental Journey
  6. Stendhal - The Red and the Black
  7. Catullus, Gaius Valerius - The Poems of Catullus
  8. Suetonius - The Twelve Caesars
  9. Inchbald, Elizabeth - A Simple Story
  10. Eliot, George - Romola
  11. Malory, Thomas - Le Morte D'Arthur
  12. Lennox, Charlotte - The Female Quixote
  13. Johnson, Samuel, and Boswell, James - A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland & A Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides
  14. Bede - Ecclesiastical History of the English People
  15. Byron, George Gordon (Lord) - Don Juan
  16. Tolstoy, Leo - Tales of Army Life
  17. Ch'êng-ên, Wu - The Monkey
  18. Béroul - The Romance of Tristan
  19. Tolstoy, Leo - Resurrection
  20. Sturluson, Snorri - The Prose Edda
The scariest - Le Morte D'Arthur, and Lord Byron - but really, if I don't get that one, I ought to read it anyway. I haven't read a word of Byron to my knowledge, which is shameful... And Bede - something is needed to push me to read Bede! Ditto Boswell & Johnson. Oh, the amount of times I have started that book....

I'm now looking forward to Monday to see what I get! :)

                                      Comments

                                      1. I love the spin too! Best wishes for a good one, o! :)

                                        ReplyDelete
                                        Replies
                                        1. Thank you! The spin is my favourite part of the Classic Club (apart from the actual list, obviously!).

                                          Delete
                                      2. I'm sorry but when I saw your list I laughed. Do you enjoy torture by any chance? ;-)

                                        I have #1, #2, #13, #14 & #15 (although I was trying to ignore the last one) really high on my TBR list. They have been the ones I'm both dying to read and avoiding. I'm so glad to have an unenthused partner. Perhaps if you get one of those I will force myself to be tortured ..... ooops, I mean read one along with you. I think the first one would be bizarre.

                                        I'm interested in #20 & #8 but if you want a trouble-free spin, #4 would be perfect.

                                        Have a great spin!

                                        ReplyDelete
                                        Replies
                                        1. I'm worried about #4, though others have assured me (I've had this on a spin list once, if not twice!).

                                          Big scary one on this list of course is Le Morte! :)

                                          Delete
                                      3. Interesting list! I'm not a member of the Classics Club, but I'm thinking of doing this spin quietly without telling anyone...

                                        I can't believe you have no enthusiasm for "Crime and Punishment"! I cannot wait until I have some time to sit down finally rereading it. Have you read this before? To me it seemed, the first time round, as if I was slipping into a madman's head but Raskolnikov is so, so human and in spite of what he does, I still relate to him very strongly.

                                        "The Red and the Black" is difficult for me to judge. It definitely needs a reread if I was to talk about it in more detail. For me it was a bit of a rollercoaster on the boredom scale, it could go on for aaages and another time I would read ten chapters in one go... Can I just say, it has a lot more to it than can be discerned on first reading, that's what I found.

                                        You've listed Sterne twice! I don't know if that's intentional but.... great! A greater chance to get it. It's great, I really really recommend it, it was one of the very best texts we had assigned this semester and writing my essay on it was so fun!

                                        Have faith in the Icelanders, o! Edda is really fun to read.

                                        But all of the above is just what I think... Good luck! And I'm sure you'll love whatever you get!

                                        ReplyDelete
                                        Replies
                                        1. Sterne - well spotted! Thank you! I've changed one to The Female Quixote.

                                          C&P - yes, I've read it before many many years ago. Hopefully the second time around I'll appreciate it :)

                                          I worried that Red and the Black would be dull - I found Charterhouse dull.

                                          I think I may well like Edda - I just need a push to read it :)

                                          Delete
                                      4. The only one from your list that I've read was Miss Marjoribanks, which I loved. It's an easy read, reminded me a bit of Jane Austen or Trollope. The others on your list are definitely scary! Good luck with your Spin pick!

                                        ReplyDelete
                                        Replies
                                        1. Thank you! I think it was originally Jeanette Winterson who put me off Miss M. Well, we'll see. If I don't get it, I may still read it before Feb :)

                                          Delete
                                      5. I love your lists for all the (new to me) books you highlight. the ones I do know seem intimidating - so good luck and I hope you get a good spin :-)

                                        ReplyDelete
                                        Replies
                                        1. So do I! Already regretting putting Le Morte D'Arthur in! :)

                                          Delete
                                      6. This list gave me goose bumps. I will enjoy watching from afar.

                                        ReplyDelete
                                        Replies
                                        1. I think with this list I'd prefer watching from afar too ;)

                                          Delete
                                      7. You're very brave to go for 20 scary titles!! I had C&P on my list, but took it off a t the last minute. I would like to read Miss Marjoribanks though. Good luck!

                                        ReplyDelete

                                      Post a Comment

                                      Popular Posts of the Month