The Classics Spin #15.

Hurrah, it's spin time! This has come at a good moment as I've had a very unproductive day with my spring cleaning / redecorating (it involved grout and I made a mess of it so need to start afresh tomorrow) and I really needed cheering up!

The rules of the spin:
  • Go to your blog.
  • Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
  • Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, re-reads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
  • Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog before next Friday.
  • Friday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
  • The challenge is to read that book by May 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)

As I've just got 32 novels left (and I don't want to list plays: I have a vague order in mind for the remaining plays) I've just removed the novels I'd already planned on reading this month and put the rest in the randomiser. Here's the first 20 it's picked:
  1. Hardy, Thomas - Jude the Obscure
  2. Erasmus, Desiderius - In Praise of Folly 
  3. Defoe, Daniel - Robinson Crusoe 
  4. Hughes, Thomas - Tom Brown at Oxford 
  5. De Pizan, Christine - The Treasure of the City of Ladies 
  6. Woolf, Leonard - The Wise Virgins 
  7. Dickens, Charles - A Tale of Two Cities 
  8. Gosse, Edmund - Father and Son
  9. Goldsmith, Oliver - The Vicar of Wakefield 
  10. Steinbeck, John - East of Eden
  11. Collins, Wilkie - Armadale
  12. Dostoyevsky, Fyodor – The Eternal Husband
  13. Eliot, George - Romola 
  14. Dickens, Charles - Sketches by Boz 
  15. Malory, Thomas - Le Morte D'Arthur
  16. Constant, Benjamin – Adolphe 
  17. Voltaire - Zadig and L'Ingénu
  18. de Troyes, Chrétien - Arthurian Romances 
  19. Dostoyevsky, Fyodor - Crime and Punishment 
  20. Hašek, Jaroslav - The Good Soldier Švejk 

In a weird way I'm hoping for Le Morte D'Arthur: it's time I actually read it instead of meaning to!

Anyway, with that I must return to DIY... 

Comments

  1. Nice assortment! I can't believe I didn't think to put Treasure of the City of Ladies on my list -- it's sitting there on my TBR shelf and I've been casting longing looks at it. OTOH, I have yet to feel any desire to read Zola....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I wish you would! I love Zola :) Still, he's not to everyone's taste and however much I love him I can really see why. My next Zola read is going to be a short story - The Paradise of Cats. Know nothing about it, but it's a very intriguing title :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, one of these days maybe I'll get to Zola....French literature always makes me nervous.

      Delete
  2. grout can be difficult; cutting the end of the tube on a slant and getting it the right size is half the battle; then, half closing your eyes and pretending to not pay attention while you're running the grout in, keeps the hands from shaking too much... and don't worry about small faults: they're a sign that a real person was doing it... i've never been that good at it, but i've done quite a bit of it, and that's what the experts told me to do... good luck...

    lovely books there, some things to look forward to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fed up with the grout. Going to bleach it rather than re-grout. Was in such a bad mood about it yesterday! I re-grouted a section and it's not a "small fault", it looks more like one of the hens has done it rather than a real person :)

      Looking forward to seeing what I get for the spin. None I'm really dreading to be honest, I seem to have that section of the Classics Club out of the way thankfully!

      Delete
  3. Best of luck! I'm skipping this spin for the first time ever, but I simply have too much I'm reading at the moment and am already overloaded. Plus I didn't read my last two spin books at least.

    I hope you get The Vicar of Wakefield and I hope you DON'T get Crime and Punishment. If you end up reading the latter, I might be tempted to join you. :-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like The Vicar of Wakefield. No idea why I haven't read it yet! One of those I know I'd love but not got to it yet. I think I was trying to be sensible with the CC list and read the hard ones or the ones I was nervous about fairly early on. It's worked in that respect, there's not that many I'm concerned about really. But yes, hope I get The Vicar! :D

      Delete
  4. Good luck! I've read five from that list and I really liked East of Eden and Armadale, though they're completely different. I also rather liked The Wise Virgins, and The Good Soldier Svejk (which is quite long, but not bad if you pace yourself). I've also read Robinson Crusoe but I barely remember anything about it other than the beautiful children's edition I read was actually abridged! They left out an entire chapter at the end. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate abridged books - I've mistakenly read those a few times, always annoying! I'm intrigued by The Wise Virgins, I know one of the characters is based on V Woolf. Looking forward to that. I'm nervous about East of Eden - I've never read a Steinbeck I didn't love, and I don't want to break that run of luck! :)

      Delete
  5. AN interesting list. My husband grouted tiles in our shower. Started out at the top doing a reasonable job and as he approached the tiles further down you can see where he started to lose patience. The absolute bottom tiles are a mess. I had to scrape off a lot of grout off the tiles. He needs to stick to reading rather than grouting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grouting is hellish. I've given up. This morning, when I looked after a long break, it didn't look as bad as I thought. I've cleaned them, they look fine. Sick of them to be honest :) I can see well why your husband lost patience, I certainly have!

      Delete
  6. No Zola this time, eh? :D

    I hope you get Sketches by Boz, I enjoyed this one very much.
    Anyway, good luck with whichever title that will win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Zola because I already planned to read Thérèse Raquin this month :) Problem is I don't know where it is (we're redecorating and books from about R - Z are scattered!).

      Sketches by Boz is a re-read for me - I enjoyed it very much too! :D Looking forward to that again, and even if I don't get it for the spin I think I'll probably be reading it in a few weeks :)

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I hope you get East of Eden! One of my favorites! -RBR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got The Eternal Husband! Will be reading East of Eden very soon though, definitely this spring :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

The Book Tag.

20 Books of Summer.